Chapter 21: Empty Handed

Emma's POV

----

It was impossible to walk five steps down the hall without hearing the word 'homecoming.'

And every five steps, I was reminded of the impossible decision I'd have to make.

I thought my love life would be simpler after Mason and Ava broke up, but things felt more confusing than ever...

It was just before cheer practice. Everyone laid out on the football field, doing warm up stretches.

Well, everyone except Lauren, who was on the sidelines, flirting with the football team.

"Mason, I heard you're back on the market..."

"Not interested. Try someone else." Mason said dryly.

"Ugh. Just because she's a natural at cheer, she thinks she can slack off." I said, annoyed.

"Is she trying some kind of sexy pose? I... I didn't know the human could bend that way." Iris said.

"She looks like a really, really desperate pretzel." I said.

"Ha. Good one." Toni said. 

"Alright, enough chatter. Especially you, Emma. Stop distracting other people." Ava said.

"But... Got it. My bad." I apologized.

Things between Ava and I were... tense. She was hurt, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little guilty.

Lauren flounced over to us, waving a paper with a satisfied smile on her face.

"Guess who's got the starting lineup for the football team?" She asked.

"Did you make first string?" I asked.

"You're such a comedian, Emma. No, I didn't make first string... But Noah and Mason both did. Seems like a lot of girls have been fighting for their attention lately. Right Ava?"

"Whatever, Lauren. All of you, start running laps! I wanna see you move like your college admissions depend on it!" Ava yelled.

The rest of team headed off, but I hung behind. Maybe I could start repairing things. 

"Look, Ava... I know you're upset about Mason..."

"I'm not talking with you about this now. It's unprofessional." 

"Sorry, I just thought--"

"That I needed advice from the girl who kissed my boyfriend? I'm good, thanks." She interrupted.

My stomach dropped out from under me. I knew Ava had been upset, but I'd hoped she'd had time to cool off, and maybe see the situation with clear eyes.

"Ava... I'd be mad too. I'm sorry. You must feel completely betrayed."

"That's so nice and mature of you. Just wish you'd considered that before you kissed him." She sarcastically said.

"Ava, please just let me fix this."

"Emma... I'm sure I'll forgive you someday. But that day's not today, and until it is... I don't want to talk to you. Not unless I have to."

Ava stalked off, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I quickly caught up to the rest of the team as they ran around the field...

Even with a late start, I finished my laps long before the other girls. I spotted Noah walking toward the locker rooms alone probably to get changed...

The boys' locker rooms were strictly off-limits to us cheerleaders, for obvious reasons.

Just thinking of those reasons made me heat up under my cheer uniform. The way Noah kissed me the other night didn't help...