Chapter 12: The Cover Story

A tiny bit of a mature scene below⬇️

~

Emma's POV

----

How does a girl go from the top of the cheer pyramid to starting a bar fight in less than twenty-four hours?

I'd dreamed of a walk on the wild side, but that was quickly becoming a nightmare. Now a stranger was threatening to beat me to a pulp, and Noah was nowhere to be found...

"What the hell's your problem? Didn't anyone ever teach you to watch where you're going?" The man angrily asked.

"Listen... I'm really sorry!" I apologized.

"Oh, you're about to be." The woman said.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on the small of my back.

"Is there a problem here?" Noah asked.

"Yeah, this little brat knocked into me and spilled my drink everywhere." The woman stated.

"Good. It looks like you've had one too many already." Noah said.

The woman nearly toppled as she drunkenly swung at us, missing by a foot. The man threateningly cracked his knuckles and yelled:

"How dare you talk to my girl like that?"

"How about instead of picking a fight with random strangers, you bring your girlfriend home? She can barely stand." Noah angrily said.

"Why? You scared of what I can do to you?" The man laughed.

"No, I jus don't think it'd be fair to mae her scrape you off the floor when she's this drunk. Go on. I'll give you one free punch. After that, no promises what I'll do." Noah explained.

"I... uh... forget it, man. Come on, babe. Let's get out of here." 

The man and his girlfriend scurried away as Noah turned back to me.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for stepping in." I said.

"No problem. How about I grab us some drinks?" He asked.

I paused. The closest I'd ever come to drinking was sneaking a sip from my dad's bottle of gin with Mackenzie... and we agreed that it was pretty gross.

I didn't even know what to order, but I couldn't let Noah think that I was inexperienced. My brain raced for something convincing.

"I'll take... A Shirley Temple."

"Aw, that's cute." Noah smiled.

"What? I like how they taste!" I said.

"Sorry, I didn't mean that as a dig." He said.

I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. But to my surprise, Noah smiled again softly.

"Hey, if you don't feel comfortable drinking, that's cool." He said.

"I don't want you to think I'm a wimp. I've never really been drunk before." I admitted.

"It's fine. You don't need to be drunk to have a good time. And that's what it's worth, you're not a wimp. You came out to this club with me, didn't you?"

Noah slipped away to order, returning a few in hand. He clinked his glass against mine.

"Cheers." He smiled.

"Cheers." I responded back.

He drowned his drink in one go, not breaking eye contact. He was standing so close, his hip occasionally bruhed against mine.