Chapter 17: The Slip

Emma's POV

----

Within just a few weeks, I'd snuck out of the of the house twice. I was getting a taste of rebellion... and I liked it.

When I got to Ava's place, the party was already raging. I could feel the music vibrating through the house, and the air was thick and smelled like beer.

"Emma! Oh my God, your outfit! How are you still single? If I were a guy I'd be all over you!"

Ava stumbled over and sloppily hugged me, laying her head on my shoulder.

"You look like you've been having a good time." I said.

"I know! This is, like, the best party I've ever thrown!"

She giggled, then hiccuped. Suddenly, tears welled up in her eyes.

"You're my favorite person! I LOVE YOU!" She yelled, happily.

"Ava, you're drunk."

"No I'm NOT! You're  drunk."

"I literally just got here." I laughed.

"Okay, Ava, I think you need to lie down."

As Mason emerged from the crowd, his eyes locked on my revealing outfit.

Ava noticed his stare and instantly latched onto him, burying her face in his chest.

"Mmm, Mason. Tell me I'm beautiful." She said.

"You're beautiful. And you also need to lie down."

He wrapped his arms tight around her, and I felt a pang in my chest. She looked so natural in his arms.

"Sorry Emma, I'm just gonna help Ava sober up. Catch you in a bit?" Mason asked.

"Yeah... totally."

A lump formed in my throat as I watched him guide Ava up the stairs. I suddenly felt like I was suffocating in this loud party full of strangers.

I pushed through the crowd toward the patio door, hoping I could get some fresh air on the porch.

I took a shaky breath, trying to compose myself. Why did it still hurt so much to see them together?

Just then, someone's hands reached from behind me and covered my eyes.

"Guess who?" Someone said and I immediately recognize who it was.

"Noah?"

"Bingo."

I turned around to see Noah smiling his half crocked-grin.

"I was waiting for you to show up. This party's dead."

"Really? It looks pretty alive to me." I smiled.

"Not by my standards. It's a bunch of high school cliques and fruity jungle juice. I only came for you."

My stomach swooped in that giddy way when you realize your interest in someone is mutual. Just like that, I forgot all the pain from my broken heart.

"You know, I passed that history test yesterday because of you." He stated.

"I figured. If we keep this up, you'll be a valedictorian before you know it." I grinned.

"We should hang out after this to celebrate. Away from the party, I mean. I've been looking for an excuse to spend some time alone with you." He laughed.

"Noah... you don't need an excuse."

"Thank God. Because if we keep this up, I'm gonna run out of excuses." He smiled.