Chapter 19: Double or Nothing

This chapter is dedicated to @rain_narii for supporting me!!

~~

Emma's POV

----

I'd never known what it felt like for my heart to split in two until that moment.

Noah held me his arms, but I was overcome by the hurt expression on Mason's face as he gaped at us.

"Mason... what are you doing here?" I asked.

"I wanted to talk to you. But I didn't know... You and Noah..."

Mason turned away and headed down the street. I looked back at Noah, my heart in my throat.

"Noah, I'm sorry... I need to talk to Mason."

"It's fine. I'll be here." He said.

I caught up with Mason, my vision blurred with tears. He only turned to face me when I grabbed his shoulder, and he wouldn't meet my gaze.

"Mason... I can kiss whoever I want. I'm a single girl. Aren't I allowed to have fun?"

"Sure, but... I wasn't expecting it to be with him."

Mason's face was stony, but I could see the pan in his downcast eyes.

"Never mind. I shouldn't have come." He said, walking to the parking lot.

"Mason, wait!"

But he was already climbing into his car.

"I just... Never mind." He gloomily said.

"Mason..." I trailed off. Maybe there was nothing more to say.

He started up the engine and drove off into the night without another word, his taillights fading into the distance.

A pit formed in my stomach as I walked back to my porch, and it only grew as I saw Noah's stoic expression.

"What was that about?" He asked.

"It's complicated." I responded.

"Yeah. Looks like it."

He crosses his arm and I could sense that I'd broken the moment we'd jut shared.

"I like you, Emma, but I don't like games. I think you need to decide what you want."

He strode past me and hopped back on his motorcycle, driving off into the night, and I was left alone on the porch.

Had I just blown it with both of the boys I liked?

The tears started streaming down to my face before I could stop them. I dragged myself inside, flopped down on the couch and began sobbing.

I don't know how much time passed, but eventually I heard the front door click open. I quickly wiped my face.

"Dad? Is that you?" I asked.

"Thankfully for you, no. Shouldn't you be at that party?"

Mackenzie stopped short when she saw my tear-stained face. She sat down next to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"Whoa, what happened? I thought you were looking forward to tonight!"

"I was. Things just got kind of out of hand." I said sadly.

"Do we need ice cream? Is this a chocolate chip cookie dough kinda night?" Mack asked.

"I think I might have blown my chances with Mason and Noah."