Chapter 16

Once I recovered from nearly fainting from exhaustion, having downed an entire water bottle in a matter of seconds, we were onto the next round.

"The first game of the first-year stage is finally over." Midnight announced. "Now, take a look at the results!"

I looked at the board and saw that most of the people that had gotten through were from either both hero courses or possibly a lucky slip in from the other courses.

'29th place huh? Not bad...' I thought to myself, and saw that Deku had gotten first place.

"The top 46 made it through to the next round. It's unfortunate but don't worry even if you didn't make it! We've prepared other chances for you to shine." Midnight explained with a grin and licking her lips. "The real competition begins next!"

"The press cavalry'll be all over it!, give it your all!" She continued, making me look at her, wondering what the next event is.

She flicked the whip into the air as the next activity was shown.

"Now then, here is the second game. I already know what it is, but what could it be? What could it be?" She said as the words spun around quickly.

"I just said it, and now here it is...Cavalry battle!" She announced as the words stopped and showed the next activity which was indeed, cavalry battle.

'How would that work?'

"Let me explain. The participants can form teams of two to four people as they wish. It's basically the same as a regular cavalry battle, but the one thing that's different is based on the results of the last game, each person has been assigned a point value." Midnight explained as photos on the screen showed up to help explain.

'Point-based huh?' I thought, wondering how the point system worked. 'So each team would have a different point value depending on who's on the team.'

There was murmurs through the group but Midnight whipped the whip down angrily. "You guys don't hold back even though I'm talking, huh?!" Which made everyone shut up.

"Yes that's right! And the points assigned go up by five starting from the bottom. So 42nd place gets 5 points and 41st gets 10 points and so forth!" She said before grinning. "And the point value assigned to first place is...10 million!"

My head immediately turned towards Deku, like everyone else, though the poor guy seemed to shrink away from the gazes.

"It's survival of the fittest, with a chance for those at the bottom to overthrow the top!" Midnight announced. "You have 15 minutes to form teams, time starts now!"

I walked a bit away from Deku, it's nothing against him, but I was trying to keep a low profile. By teaming up with the person with the most points would gain a lot of attention.

Though I think Deku had other plans.

"(Y/n)!" I heard someone yell, making me see both Uraraka and Deku running towards me.

"You want to team up? If we get Iida with us we'd probably have a good chance on winning or getting through!" Uraraka asked with a grin.
"Yeah! Let's go ask Iida now!" Deku agreed.

"Uh, but..." I started but they were already heading over to Iida.

"Iida! Want to team up? With your speed we'd be able to maneuver around faster and Uraraka could make us float..." Deku started, already beginning to mumble ideas for the four of us.

I glanced at Iida who was looking away. "Apologies, Midoriya."

"Huh?"

"But I can't develop or grow myself if I continue to work with you, you are a great person but someone else has already asked me to be on their team..." Iida said before walking off a little and standing where Kaminari, Todoroki and Yaoyorozu stood. "But there's one more person declaring war against you."