𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟓 | 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒

y/ns pov

Clouds were turning dark grey, wind chilly and sharp. The houses around me seemed to look identical to my neighbourhood. They had large lawns and wide doors, a array of windows lined up symmetrically. One house, the largest, had pillars connected from the floor to the roof, as if the President lived there. It was painted an off white, different to the surrounding, plain white houses.

The wind picked up again, nipping at my bare arms. Clouds turned darker yet rain was yet to drop. I turned back to where I came from, glancing at the house one last time. I whizzed down the bendy path, astonished at how I ignored it the first time. The path was getting narrower like it wanted to trap me here but just as the low trees seemed to close up, I saw a flick of light shine through.

Pushing past the leaves, the previous park was standing there. Now empty as the street was deserted. No children laughing or smiling, no mothers gossiping about the mayor, nothing. Considering the darkness above I wasn't surprised.

The sky was a grey rhenish, reflecting the mood. Everything felt dull. I was in desperate need of an change in life, something new to spice things up. Austin stabbing his bully did nothing but give Ginny a reason to pick on Mom, even more than before. It was annoying, she was acting like she knew everything, forgetting she's a 15 year old pretending to be someone that she's not.

Goosebumps prickled my arm, hairs fully erect. Slightly hugging myself, I walked faster towards the exit of the park. The gate was closed but not locked, my shrivelled fingers reaching out to pull the gate open.

Everywhere was empty, dark blanketing the town. Shops were closed, roads were silent, the usual bustling shopping district was abandoned. It was like a ghost town. I was used to seeing crackheads shouting, homeless people searching for a place to stay for the night, but I'm guessing a small, rich town wouldn't have anything like that.

This place was very different from the other places we've stayed in. The sidewalk wasn't cracked and littered with dried gum and dirt, it was layered perfectly, pristine and perfect. Even their trash cans looked clean, nothing hanging out of the sides or flies circulating them. The little things that no one noticed were what made this town up.

My house was finally in view, the high roof stabbing the sky. The light were on and it radiated a warmth I craved. Max's house was dark, separated bedroom lights shining through windows.

"Y/N?" Shit.

"Yeah?" I spun around, facing Marcus. He was halfway down his house, bedroom window wide open.

"What are you doing out here? It's late." He eyed my appearance, checking for any signs of distress.

"I'm going home. What are you doing?" He jumped down, only a few meters up. "I'm, uh, sneaking out.. to meet with Padma. She's helping me with something, it's important." With perfect timing, Padma's car pulled up, freezing when she saw Marcus and I talking.

"Cool." I turned towards my house, unlocking the door. Once I was safety inside, I left out a breath of air, one I didn't know I was holding.

I did miss Marcus, for some time he was my world. He knows things about myself that I would never trust anyone to know, but when I told him, he kept it to himself. I knew he didn't cheat on me with Ginny, he was above that. But I refuse to stay in a relationship with secrets, secrets destroy things, I've seen it, and I will not be participating in any of that.

I admit, maybe I did overreact with the paint, but I couldn't help myself. I was angry, they was there, the paint was there and it happened. Would I take it back? No, seeing Ginny panic was worth it. It was her karma for jumping on Mom everyday.