𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟔 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐑 𝐈𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐕𝐀

y/ns pov

Specks of ash scattered the lawn. A suffocating whiff of smoke blew in my direction, clogging my lungs. I rapidly fanned my face, clutching my chest. Mom sprinted toward the fire, armed with a water hose. "What the hell happened?"

Austin and Caleb ran past, WD-40 torches in hands. "Austin!" Ginny yelled.

"Hey, you stop right there!" Mom sprayed the water hose on the fire, eventually downing it.

"Mom, the kids starting fires. I know a therapist he can go to." I groaned, "Our garden is on fire and all you care about is sending him to a therapist? Get a grip."

"What? No! Hey!" Running to the culprits, Mom yanked the torches out of their hands, "What the hell do you guys think you're doing?"

"You said you were building a city for toys, not a fire!" I screeched, they couldn't meet our eyes, staring at the crisp grass. "Who's idea was this?"

Austin pointed at Caleb with no hesitation, "Ok.. where did you get WD-40 torches? And how?"

"We found 'em, near their trash can." Caleb pointed to a random house across the road. "We thought they were empty but guess not." He said, nonchalantly, like he'd done this before but received no consequences.

"So why— you know what, just get inside." I pointed at the front door, both running, not looking back.

Mom sighed, rubbing the frown lines between her brows. Today was definitely her off day, and I didn't wanna add to her stress, but she needed to know about last night.

"Hey Mom.. I think something's going on with Aunt Maddie."

Moms head swivelled, immediately facing me. "What are you talking about?" "Well, yesterday, she was on the phone talking to someone, don't ask me who, and she said 'I don't know she hasn't told me anything.' When she realised I was there, she instantly hung up the phone."

"Right. That's it." Charging inside she grabbed her coat, car keys and phone. "I'll be back soon. Make the boys some dinner, and please, don't let them outside."

Without waiting for my response, she slammed the door shut, heels clicking on the driveway. "Ok then."

I wasn't in the mood to cook, so I ordered a large batch of Chinese food. I used Georgia's card to pay, I refuse to waste $60 on food.. again.

The food arrived an hour after it was ordered, the boys taking their servings and retreating back to Austin's room. Ginny was at Max's house so I didn't bother texting her.

I munched on a spring roll, checking the time. It was 5:38 and Marcus still hasn't replied to my text. I asked him if he was still coming to talk but he left me on seen. Worry bubbled in my stomach, 'what's if' flooded my head. I face planted my bed, groaning.

The past weeks have been filled with stress. From my wrist to my outburst, I hadn't taken a breather in a while. Yeah, I had two weeks off of school, but I still had classes and work to do. Learning to write with my left hand was hard enough.

A thump came from my locked window. I heaved my body to the window, fiddling with the lock. Marcus was standing on the small ledge below my window. "Hey."

I couldn't resist smiling at him, reaching my arm out to pull him in. He gladly took it, gripping my arm tightly. Sliding through, he dusted off his clothes, looking around. "It's been a while."

"Yeah... it has." I sighed, "Well, get comfy, I guess." He grinned, lying back on my bed. Resting up on his elbows, he chuckled, "Come." I sauntered next him, back resting against my cushy mattress.