𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟔 | 𝐒𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐃

y/ns pov

Mom had ordered us to take a family photo with Paul, for his mayoral campaign, but with Austin being silent, and Ginny being bitter, it was nothing short of awkward. There was a gap between Mom and Ginny, making the photo look even more off than usual. Mom and Paul had faux smiles stuck on but the rest were deadpanning.

The photographer signalled Ginny to move closer, she refused, moving away from Mom and closer to Austin and I. Giving up, she went back to taking more photos, trying out a different angle on the camera.

"Ok. The election is tomorrow. Your opponent, Cynthia Fuller, is running her campaign attacking your lack of family values, and now you're engaged. How would you respond to critics about the timing of your proposal?"

"I am marrying Georgia because I fell in love with her, and her kids. It's as simple as that."

"How did you propose?"

"I, um..." "It was so romantic. We were working late one night, and he handed me this file and asked me to put it in my desk drawer. And I'm like, "The file goes in the filing cabinet." On and on about this desk drawer until finally, he opens it, and inside is this little velvet box."

The interviewer ate up the story, scribbling down every detail Mom said. Paul looked more surprised at her ability to conjure up stories on the spot, whilst Nick looked impressed. The interviewer turned to us, asking questions about Wellsbury and how we interpreted it.

"What about you, Virginia? What's your favourite part of Wellsbury?"

"My friends."

——————————————

Max, Norah and Abby were huddled around a locker, whispering about something. Max looked pissed, it was probably something to do with Sophie.

Once we arrived, they all turned to us.

"Hey, guys!" Ginny shouted. "Hey, I waited for you at Berry Tree."

"Hey, N/N." Max beamed.

"...hey?" She didn't say anything to Ginny, glancing at the other girls.

"Oh, ha ha, avoid looking at her. Ew, she can't sit with us. I get it."

No one laughed.

"Hey, joke's over." Max looked at her, wrapping her arms around Abby and Norah.

"Y/N, you coming?" "Yeah."

I left Ginny by the lockers alone. She looked confused, wondering why they shunned her.

"Okay.." I started, "What was that?"

Abby looked back at me, "What was what?"

"You know what I'm talking about. Why are you ignoring Ginny?"

Max huffed, "It turns out she's the reason why Marcus was in hospital. She almost killed him."

"What do you mean?"

"I saw in his and Padma's chats. They were talking about something she said, I can't say what but it was bad."

"Hm. Okay." I shrugged, walking to my next class.