Chapter 14: I Believed that He Believed

Author's Note:

Whoops!  Forgot to update this last Friday, here it is now.

Thanks for reading!!!  :)

<<< << < > >> >>>

We finished our delightful meal. It was the most romantic meal of my life, so far. Which was truthfully not that high of a bar, but it blew it out of the water.

Arthur held my hand as we began to walk out of the restaurant under the watchful eyes of our bodyguards.

"Prince Arthur!" I heard a female voice call out.

Arthur stiffened a bit beside me. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck raise up just a bit before I even turned around to see just who was coming towards me.

She reminded me of Fleur since they were both exquisite beauties, but that was where the similarity ended. This woman had beautiful red curls streaming halfway down her back and perfect even features. She looked a bit like a pixie.

I instantly disliked her. Why was she talking to my mate with such familiarity?

Arthur had also turned to meet the coming intrusion. "Anne, this is Luna Serenity. Serenity, this is my mate and the future princess, Anne."

"It's wonderful to meet you," she gushed. "I've been waiting to since Brandon told me about you. I could hardly contain myself," she said.

She must be rather impatient since it had only been three days since Arthur had found me.

"I've heard so much about you and you look amazing, Lady Anne."

"Thank you," I said. "You look very nice yourself."

Although it was rather awkward, I was somewhat comforted that she had her laser focus directed at me so much that she might have even forgotten he was there.

Perhaps I could get along with Serenity. She was like Kayla on stimulants.

"Thanks so much. Oh, Arthur, where in the world did you find her? I want to hear everything," she told me.

"Well, Serenity, there'll be time for that later at the welcoming party," Arthur said.

"There'll be so many more people there, Arthur. You're going to overwhelm her," she said as if I could not speak for myself.

I realized I was going to have to assert my dominance in this relationship. It was always easier when my wolf was focused, since that sort of animalistic power simply rolled of off her, but this sort of situation was probably what she meant by not messing things up while she was inattentive.

I began to speak. "Luna Serenity, it's been—"

"Serenity? Serenity! There you are," I was interrupted by a familiar face I had first seen right after I had met my mate. Brandon had a slight scowl on his face as he approached.

She whirled to face her mate a bit defensively.

"Wait, is this why you were so insistent on coming here tonight?" Brandon asked. His frown deepened.

"Why do you always assume the worst?" she snapped back at him.

"I don't always assume the worst," he protested. Brandon forcibly relaxed his muscles as he looked towards Arthur and me. "I am sorry, Prince Arthur, Lady Anne. I did not—"

"Why do you never believe me?" she hissed at him, loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Serenity, I—"