Chapter 13: Intense Attention

I had a lot of fancy things to wear by the time I needed to get ready to go out with Arthur for supper. I opened my ridiculously large and nearly empty walk in closet and discovered it was not nearly so empty as the last time I had looked, although there was still plenty of room for more to be added.

I walked to a row of dresses and pulled on a green one. It fit me perfectly. I tried a red dress and it looked excellent on me. I tried a yellow one and I looked glorious, and in the past I had not even thought I looked good in yellow.

Perhaps this was some sort of magical wardrobe in which everything looked wonderful on me and if I walked to the back I would find a land of snowy fir trees beyond the fur coats.

I shook my head at my own whimsy and forced myself to focus.

I finally decided on a cute maroon dress with a moderate neckline and a hem that was just above my knees. I found some matching heels on a shelf and decided it was fate.

Or on second thought it was more likely someone had the job of finding shoes that would look good with my dresses.

I heard a knock at the door and walked and opened it. I was surprised not to find Arthur on the other side, but rather a black haired woman who seemed to be only slightly older than me.

She curtseyed and I nodded uncomfortably. "Lady Anne, I'm Velda and I was sent to act as your lady's maid if it pleases you."

She was wearing a tidy uniform, so I guess her words fit her look. "Yeah, that sounds nice," I lied.

Velda smiled as if she was truly pleased with my answer. I wondered what I was supposed to let her do for me. "Well, I guess you should do whatever you need to do."

She smiled. "Shall I do your hair, Lady Anne?"

"That sounds fine." I had been planning to just wear it down like normal, but I did not really care enough not to let her do something. She seemed to really want to. The job was probably something like an honour for her, as weird as the idea seemed to me.

"How do you want it done, my lady?"

"I think... Down?"

She nodded and I thought she would be disappointed, but then she ushered me over to a seat at a dressing table and began doing things to my hair. I did not argue. Instead I picked up my phone and decided to text Kayla. I had not responded to her last ten messages, so I probably owed her one.

[Me] Sry I didn't text sooner, was as busy as I thought I'd be.

[Kayla] Np, how is it?

[Me] It's amazing and overwhelming. Can't wait for you to get here.

[Me] I don't know when that party is yet.

[Kayla] So happy for u

[Kayla] I'm super excited about it too!!!!!!

[Me] So... we marked each other.

There was a long pause. I could picture Kayla jumping around like crazy and then running to tell Rory before responding.

[Kayla] No way!!!!!!

[Kayla] That's so fast!!

[Me] Not really. We're destined mates, right?

I felt just a tad defensive and embarrassed by her reaction. If even Kayla thought we were going too fast, maybe we had.

[Kayla] Ur right, but I thought ud take longer because ur u, right?

[Me] Thx?

[Kayla] U know what I mean