Chapter 22: Mate Coloured Glasses

It was wonderful to see my sister so much less dismal than she had been lately.

She seemed incredibly excited about her room in the palace.

"I just can't believe this," she said, for about the fifth time.

I smiled.  At least if she decided to morosely stare at her ceiling here, they were nicer than the one on her bedroom back home.

"Are you excited for the celebration tonight?"

"Excited, sort of.  Nervous, absolutely."

"Don't be nervous.  Just let your wolf out a bit and you'll be fine."

"Why does everyone keep telling me that?"

"Because you're so controlled.  I know you worry, but Maria is not irrational.  My wolf would follow her anywhere."

I looked at her with the most skeptical expression I could muster.

She wiped a stray tear from her eyes and then rolled them.  "I know your wolf is furious at...at him."

"You do?"

"Your eyes flash amber when I'm upset," she said.

"Oh."

"Listen, I'm going to try to move on with my life though."

I knew it was unwise but I had to ask.  "Have you rej—"

"No."

I was disappointed, but at least she seemed ready to try to make a good life for herself in spite of her inferior mate pairing.

I did not let my mind stray down the path of loathing Wilson very far, because that was the way to enrage my wolf and I.  Instead, I imagined Ellen crafting a wonderful life for herself and him filled with self loathing regret.  I smiled, even though she still was not willing to properly end it yet.

Still, it was tolerable progress.

"So, mom sent your measurements so there's a dress waiting for you," I told her.  "Do you want to come see it?"

<<< << < > >> >>>

There were several dresses waiting for my sister when we arrived at the clothier.  Ellen looked excited to try them on and she looked really happy when she saw them.  I sent a grateful smile at the stylist for her hard work.  Afterwards I left my sister in her rooms to get settled in.

I found my mate back at our rooms.  "Thank you," I told him upon seeing him.

He looked up at me quizzically.  "You're welcome?"

I smiled at him with all the love that was welling up inside of me.  "For everything you've done for me and my family and my friends, Arthur."

"Oh, no need to thank me.  I like making you happy."

He seemed a bit distracted, maybe a bit conflicted.  I wondered what he was thinking about, but I figured he would tell me when he was ready.

"Well, I do appreciate these grand gestures, of course, Arthur, but you don't have to do so much.  I'd be happy with you even without them."

He paused.  "I'm glad to hear that, but I just want everything to go smoothly."

"We'll manage," I promised him quickly.

<<< << < > >> >>>

Lunch with our families turned out to be a bit of an ordeal at first.  Arthur's parents were gracious and my parents tried to hold their own, but my mother was a mass of nerves and my father seemed not quite to know how to handle the situation, although he rallied admirably and began to talk with the king about some boring organizational matter.  My sister seemed nervous as well and even though she was less dismal, traces of her sadness lingered.