Chapter 16: Could Not Get Enough

Arthur's POV

My father began speaking slowly and surely.  "The alpha of the Blood Mourning Pack is named Liam, and he took over for his parents when he was little more than a boy.  There had been some fighting between them and a pack further north, called the Howling Oaks.

"My father was still king then and he wiped out the pack as punishment for their unprovoked attack on Blood Mourning.  Anyone from the packs who would not bend the knee died and the rest of the populace were distributed according to their families in other packs.  I helped mentor Liam and he grew into a fine alpha.

"Then, Liam met his mate and more problems ensued.  She wanted freedom, he wanted security.  He wanted her devotion without being willing or able to return the same.  They constantly clashed, until one day his mate could apparently no longer take the fighting.  She threw herself from a balcony and Alpha Liam was never the same.

"On the surface, he looked fine, at first.  He was doing too well, in retrospect.  No male should be that calm after the death of his mate, but he seemed to be managing remarkably well.

"But in the past few years there have been rumblings and whispers that grew too loud for me to ignore.  I've sent men to investigate, but there's been little luck other than unsubstantiated rumours.  Rumours of rogue recruitment, and treason.  I was perhaps too reluctant to act because of my relation to Alpha Liam, but unfortunately we might soon have to intervene in a more aggressive manner."

I could tell Anne did not like the sound of that since she was chewing on her lip again.

<Don't worry, Anne.>

<I think worrying is reasonable right now, Arthur.>

<Perhaps, but I don't want your life to be one of anxiety.>

"Nothing's happening just yet, Anne," my mother told my mate, apparently also picking up on her mood.

I sent my mother a grateful smile and took Anne's hand.  I really did not want her to be afraid over every political thing that happened.  We were strengthening our bonds with our allies and Liam would be brought low if he dared to challenge us.

I saw Anne force a smile towards my mother.  Now that the initial interrogation was over, she seemed intent on being good to my mate.  I was not going to complain about that, although the way she had earlier treated Anne had aggravated me and my wolf more than I cared to admit.

"So, are you prepared for the welcoming celebration?" she asked.

"Mostly, I think."

"You'll be fine.  No need to worry, and my son will stay by your side the entire night."

My mother was right about that.  My only goal would be to see that Anne enjoyed herself and got to meet a few people.  I was certain that every person would be on their best, most charming behaviour towards her with me glowering over her shoulder at them.

The idea rather pleased me.  Anne was bringing out some interesting behaviours in me and my wolf.

When supper was over, I walked back to my rooms with Anne on my arm.

"Lady Anne," I heard a familiar voice say in an overly happy tone.  I hid my annoyance with years of long practice.

"Luna Serenity," Anne said, pasting a smile on her lips.  She did not seem to be irritated, but neither did she seem excited to see the luna at this particular moment either.

"How are you settling in, Anne?" she asked brightly.

I was trying to think of a way to ask Serenity what she was doing in the palace this time without sounding impolite or surly, but my attempt was interrupted when another person rounded the corner in the hall.