Ch 6: Temper the Tempers

Arthur's POV

I sat on a couch in my mate's home, with my arm around her delicate shoulders.  Any amount of contact between us pleased me.  I could not quite keep the smile off my face.

Her house was, of course, rather small and I imagined ordinary, but I had never spent time in such a place before.  The entire house could fit in any number of rooms in the palace where I had grown up.

Still, I liked it.  It had a homey feel and best of all it smelled like her.  I liked it and my wolf had never been so contented in my life.  He would be happy to live here.

Of course, my apartments at the palace would smell like her soon enough.  I really did smile.

"That woman is a plague, I swear," her friend Kayla said agitatedly.  She was rather a bit too energetic, but she clearly cared for my mate so I liked her instantly.  And she could only be favourably compared to the lunas of the court.

Rory seemed to temper Kayla a bit.  I was glad he was already mated.  Unmated childhood friends of the opposite sex almost always came back to bite mates in the tail later.  It was obvious upon meeting the male that he was completely devoted to Kayla, as mates should be, so I was able to relax.

I had always had a rather traditional view of mates.  My parents were deeply in love and it was good to see that Anne came from a similar background.  She seemed willing to be my partner and I could not be more grateful.  Especially when I remembered most of the women rushing around the court.

Every day, all day was exhausting drama.

I was pleased that my beautiful mate would not willingly be sucked into that nonsense.  I already imagined that she might temper the storm, just a bit.  I could not wait to see her grow into her potential.

She was speaking with her friend and while she tolerated Kayla's silliness, she simply rode the wave without getting too wet.

She was ideal.

<Yes, our mate is exceptional,> my wolf agreed.

<You're back,> I commented.

<Yes, I still can't find her yet.>  He sounded disgruntled.  I knew his patience was getting close to the end.  He would be much happier when he found Maria and they could run together beyond our dreams.

<I'm sure you'll find her soon,> I said soothingly.  He was a powerful wolf.

<You make it sound so easy, because your simple four-dimensional human mind cannot comprehend the vastness of the Wolfscape.  If you would just mark her it would be infinitely easier for us both.>

<She won't be happy if we push her.  You know that as well as I do.>

<You think she won't be happy and you're correct, because happiness is too mild a word.  She'll be ecstatic.>

I frowned.  <You'll scare her away from us.>

<You know nothing of female wolves.  How do you think she's feeling?  She can't find me either.  It's only you humans who are over-complicating matters.>

<It's not for long.>

<I want to see her as a wolf at least.  Then I at least recognize more than just her scent.  We should go for a run together.>

<Maybe.  And only if she wants.>

<She will.>

My wolf's confidence rubbed off on me.  Everything would work out fine.