Chapter 35: Raging Alpha

Arthur was waiting when I at last emerged from my dressing room like a butterfly coming out of its chrysalis. Butterflies were a good comparison, because tonight I was in a strapless gown of delicate materials in various shades of subtle gold. It was a bit flashier than I'd normally prefer, but since I'd resigned myself to the fact I'd be the centre of attention no matter what I wore, it wasn't so bad.

And the way my mate looked at me in the dress like he wanted to pick me up and carry me in the opposite direction of the ball made it fully worth it. 

Arthur and I walked towards the ballroom. We kindly allowed the photographers to snap a couple pictures of us when we reached the tall doors reserved for the royal family. With the afterimages of the flashes in our eyes, we stood at the threshold to the ballroom, ready to enter. The air was thick with perfumes and cologne, as if everyone were trying to mask the scents of envy, greed, and testosterone with chemicals.

"I think I'm going to suffocate," I muttered under my breath.

Arthur looked at me, concerned, and I just shook my head. I'd survive this like everything else.

{And don't you forget it,} my wolf said.  It was one of those times when I was really glad she was present and alert. From what I could see, all the guests were acting civilized, but who knew what was churning under the surface?

"His Highness, Crown Prince Arthur and his mate, Lady Anne Roberts," called out the page.

Every eye turned to look at us. My wolf straightened my back when I was ready to falter under the pressure of so many ranked wolves. I was suddenly missing flamboyant fairies and sleazy unicorns more than I ever thought I would.

We walked through the crowd towards a dais at the end of the room with four thrones. Two of them were huge and elaborate, and to their right were two smaller, but still equally ornate thrones. Arthur led me to those and helped me sit in the furthest from the centre before taking his own next to mine.

{Are we sitting here all night?} I was torn. There was no hiding up here, but at the same time, it really wasn't conducive for conversation, so whatever he answered had it's pros and cons.

{Just until my parents arrive, and then we can mingle.}

{Yay. Mingle.}

He chuckled and took my hand. As always the contact reassured and calmed me.

We sat there and watched the milling crowd. From all my study and from the other events I'd attended, I knew most of the alphas and lunas who were milling around. There were still plenty of unknown faces, since I hadn't gotten much past the heads of state and the top wolves of each pack.

Even what I had learned made the experience less unnerving. Just because I hadn't yet actually met Alpha Duncan Murdock—who Serenity was currently batting her eyes at as she talked to him from beside Fleur—didn't mean I didn't know that he was from Howling Moon, and that his mate died giving birth to their triplets.

My newly acquired knowledge added context to the situation when Brandon came up beside them, giving Alpha Murdock a death glare, before scowling at his mate. Serenity, as always, looked offended. It was a bit depressing to see that my words of wisdom had apparently had zero impact on her behaviour.

As if he knew what I was thinking, Arthur spoke. {A few days after the shopping revenge incident, Brandon told me that you ordered him to ask me how to manage his mate.}

{Oh, I forgot about that.}

{As you can see, it didn't work.}

{Neither did my talk with her.}