Ch 9: Puddle of Contentment

Author's Note:

Happy New Year!!!  I've got lots of fun planned for this story.  😁

Thanks for reading!!!

<<< << < > >> >>>

My first sight of the capital filled me with awe. Even though I had grown up in one of the small towns of a rural pack, I had on a couple of occasions gone to cities for appointments, but the capital was something else entirely. What had begun in the distance as an indistinct blur on the horizon gradually grew and took shape as we flowed in and out of traffic, moving ever closer.

I watched out the window, feeling very much like a green country mouse, as we followed the highway with residential areas in sight on either side of the road. As we continued, the houses on my side gradually changed into what seemed to be a more downtown business type of area, full of tall buildings with many windows.

"It's up ahead," Arthur told me. I realized he was proud of his home. His warmth seeped into me and I returned his smile.

I peered forward, trying to decipher which of the growing locations he was talking about.

What began as the silhouette of a vague shape against the sky revealed itself to be a marvel of architecture from another time. Columns and mouldings decorated the exterior of the large, complex structure.

I could scarcely believe that I was going to be expected to live there. It was larger than my school, larger than any building in my pack territory, and it was many more times bigger than my house than I dared estimate.

I would probably be lucky to find my way around inside. I swallowed and pulled my phone out of my bag.

I sent texts to my mother and to Kayla letting them know I had arrived safely. They would tell anyone else who cared.

I turned my attention back to the imposing building before me and I glanced at my mate.

He was watching my reaction with quiet concern. "Are you alright?"

I smiled at him. "Don't worry, I'll be fine." I would manage, because I wanted to be with him.

Arthur carried my travel bag for me, which made me feel stupidly happy as I slung my messenger bag over my arm.

I walked with Arthur up the wide stone steps leading into the front of the palace. Lucas fell into step with us beside me. He nodded respectfully.

I had not loved how he had practically shouted Arthur's and my status to the world, but it was that meddlesome Darcy who had done the bulk of the damage.

I had no more time to worry about how the kingdom knew about us, because the doors were pushed open and I was struck dumb with surprise. The entryway to the palace was enormous. I gaped around myself at high sloping ceilings, doors that lead in four directions, and on both sides two graceful spiralling staircases that clearly led up to the next floor, although I could see little beyond the railing above.

Mostly I was overwhelmed by just how entirely out of place I was.

Arthur took my hand and the feeling lessened. I might not belong in the palace, but I did belong with him.

A man with black, slightly greying hair walked up to us. His back was perfectly straight, he was wearing a black suit and vest, and was the very picture of meticulousness.

"Good afternoon, Prince Arthur." He turned to me and with a respectful nod said, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Roberts."

"Anne, this is our head butler, Percival Hargreeves," Arthur said. I could tell by Arthur's tone that even if the man was a servant, Arthur was fond of him.