Chapter 18: Figured Out Already

We ate supper with Arthur's parents again that night. My throat was not quite as tight, and they were as genial to me as the previous day. Apparently Arthur's mother had indeed decided that she approved of me now that she believed I had no weird skeletons in my closet.

Arthur and I spent the evening alone together and it was really nice. I liked hearing about his childhood in the palace, so different than my own, yet there were some similarities like the embarrassment of dealing with mate-bonded parents. Apparently it was painful regardless of class.

He seemed, as impossible as it sounded, to enjoy hearing about mine as well. I did not think there was anything particularly interesting about it, but he appeared fascinated. I supposed that my childhood seemed as foreign to him as his did to me.

When we parted for the night, I could not help but wish that we were a little further along in the Three M's process than we were so that I could stay with him for the night.

I schooled myself to patience, although it did not make me happy.

<<< << < > >> >>>

I was woken the next morning by my phone alarm, only to discover it was actually a call from my mother.

"Yeah?" I yawned.

"Good morning, honey."

"How're you?" I asked, wondering what she wanted.

"We got invitations to your welcoming celebration," she told me quickly.

"Okay?"

"Do you want us there?"

"Of course you're welcome," I said. What a silly reason to call me in the morning.

I could hear the smile in her voice. "I just wanted to check first. I don't want to be cramping your style if you don't want us there. Your father and I aren't quite as cool as we used to be."

I doubted that they ever were cool at all, but I did not tell her that. "It's fine."

"So then I suppose we'll travel up with your sister, so we'll get there tomorrow."

"Sounds great," I said. Not as great as still being asleep, but quite nice.

"Is everything going alright?" she asked.

So this was the real reason for the call. "Yeah, it's pretty nice here and Arthur is, of course, wonderful."

"That's good to hear. My wolf misses her pup, and wants you to know that." My mother and my mother's wolf were usually indistinguishable so it was sort of comforting to hear what her wolf side thought. Maybe it had even been her wolfish nature that had prompted this all too early call.

"Thanks mom," I said and yawned again. I was glad that they were coming.

"Sorry if I woke you, sweetie."

"No prob. Bye mom. See you soon."

"Bye."

I hung up and rolled out of bed. I kind of wanted to keep sleeping, but more than that I really wanted to see Arthur.

Once I was in his bed I'd probably never have a good reason to leave, I thought with a little wicked smile.

<<< << < > >> >>>

I made my way out of my bedroom and found Arthur in the kitchen area with a cup of coffee in his hand. He was usually relaxing on the couch with it when I exited my room, so I really was up earlier than normal.