Ch 4: Impatient Patience

I took Arthur on a tour of my town on the back of his bike, which had apparently been delivered to the front of my house by Lucas while he met my parents.

My dad was not thrilled about the mode of transportation, but he did not have much he could do about it since Arthur was my mate and also the crown prince, which I still could barely believe from a statistical point of view.

I gave him directions or pointed and he went where I wanted him to go. The tour took a grand total of seventeen minutes, and I spent most of it pointing out things like street lights and benches, and giving anecdotal accounts of me and my friends growing up.

We stopped at the little park in the centre of town. "I'm surprised we were allowed to do this without body guards."

He grinned. "Well, Brandon and Lucas secured the place, and the palace has already ran background checks on everyone living here. And one of them will be somewhere nearby."

"Ah, that explains it."

"Plus, I can protect you. They're only around for backup."

I smiled at his sweet words. He really had a way of making my brain turn into an unrecognizable pile of mush. "So, what's it going to be like when we go back to your palace?"

"Busy, I imagine. You'll get a few days to settle in, but you'll have to meet my parents pretty soon, then the alphas of the court, then the country. We'll have to figure out when everything else happens later." He put his arm around my shoulders and leaned back. It felt so warm and protective it was hard to focus on the conversation.

"So, what's it like?"

"Oh, I don't know. Luxurious, I suppose. There's someone around all the time. We won't get as much of a break as I would like."

I found his words disappointed me. "And what are the people there like?"

"You'll get used to them. Constant drama, though."

That did not sound comforting. I wrinkled my nose. "Drama?"

"Oh, unfortunately. Just before I left I had to mediate a dispute between two alphas who were fighting over the same woman."

"Why?"

"She was the childhood friend of one and the mate of the other. Neither wanted to give her up."

"Well, the friend sounds like he was being a bit short sighted. Even if she picked him, what about when he finds his mate?"

"If only they were as reasonable as you."

"Lots of people are as reasonable as me," I said modestly.

Arthur paused. "Perhaps it's just an alpha trait then. They're all so angry and possessive."

"Aren't you an alpha?"

"I am. I could be very angry and possessive if I had a reason to be."

Well, I did not really mind that, because I had no interest in pushing him. Rather, in moderation his possessiveness made me feel warm and appreciated. "So how about those guys who were with you?"

"See, now I'm jealous, you bringing up other men," he teased.

I smiled at his light humour.

"Lucas, the one who thought it was a good idea to announce I had found my mate to your town, is the equivalent of my beta, although it works a bit different amongst the monarchy. Once I'm king, he wouldn't take over if I die like a normal beta. He would stay in his position and aid my heir. Right now, it would be one of my cousins."

I frowned. The mere idea of him dying sent a shot of pain through me.

"He'll be the head of security when we take over for my parents one day. Right now, he works under his father."