Chapter 19: Shared Hallucinations

Arthur led me to the part of the palace where Kayla and Rory were being housed as my special guests.

I knocked on the door and it opened almost instantaneously. Kayla barrelled out. "Reunion tour!" she cried excitedly as she nearly tackled me.

She glanced at my mate and tried to look solemn and did some sort of weird pseudo curtsey that made my attempt actually not look too bad. "Your Majesty?"

"No need for formality," he said easily.

She apparently decided to take him literally because she then dragged me away from him into their rooms like a predator pulling its prey back into its den.

Kayla babbled for several minutes straight while dragging me around and showing me the suites they had been lent for their stay. "It's amazing here. I never imagined anything like this. And I missed you so much, every time I do something where you used to be there, I just get this little twinge of pain. Ah, maybe we should really move up to the capital. My head's spinning."

My head was also spinning, but I let her drag me around and wear herself out. Somewhere in the back of my mind I could see that Arthur was standing back and talking with Rory who was surprisingly interacting more than normal.

Trust Arthur to charm even my quiet friend, I thought, appreciating my mate's amazing ability to handle apparently every situation.

I could imagine him being dropped on some deserted island and having a shelter and a food supply established within a week.

And he would look fantastic doing it, too.

There was something appealing about the idea of being trapped alone with him on an island, until I recalled that I would not have indoor plumbing or the internet. I needed those things, although my Neanderthal ancestor would probably be ashamed of his soft werewolf descendent.

"I basically just packed my entire closet because I have no idea what to wear. I guess Rory and I might have to go shopping before tomorrow. Want to come?"

<Can I go to the mall with Kayla?>

<Yes of course. You're not a prisoner, but you'll need security.>

<Just checking.>

<I don't want you to feel trapped, Anne.>

I felt my heart swell like my chest would explode.

<But if you and Kayla would prefer, the royal clothier can help them out.>

I glanced at Kayla. "Would you rather just get prepped up here? Arthur says the royal clothier can take care of you."

Kayla grinned. "I'm not going to turn that down. But we should go shopping before I go."

"Definitely." I had no huge desire to go, but I knew she would love an outing. Maybe we could find time to take them sightseeing, or at least lend them a guide.

Arthur was on his phone. "You've got an appointment within the hour, Kayla."

"Wow." She looked at me. "He's amazing."

I was torn between agreement and pleasure at Arthur's sheer amazingness and a tiny flicker of entirely irrational jealousy.

Apparently Kayla could read me as easily as I could read her. "Awe, relax. He's got nothing on Rory. But I'm glad you got someone who's a close to as great as mine."

I laughed at myself. "This mate bond thing is insane."

"I tried not to go on about it too much before you found yours, but I know, right?" Kayla made an excited little jump before she rushed off again.