Chapter 20: Wouldn't Trade It

Kayla and I made our way back to their suite to collect Rory and then we headed down to the ballroom. When I arrived, Arthur was not there yet.

<Arthur?>

<Sorry, Anne. I'm running late.>

<Don't worry about it,> I told him, although I was a bit disappointed. I reminded myself that I had lived for close to two decades without needing him in my direct vicinity.

While we waited, the dance instructor taught my friends a couple of steps, to Kayla's delight. I could tell Rory was humouring her, as he so often did. Still, it was sweet.

I wondered what Arthur and I would be like once we were together that long.

"No, no, miss. You're supposed to let him lead," the instructor said.

"Sorry," Kayla said with an unrepentant smile.

Rory seemed completely unconcerned.

I felt Arthur come up next to me. I did not need to look to know it was him. I smiled at him. "Everything good?"

He nodded. "There was a rogue skirmish up north, but that was taken care of."

I pushed aside my concern and focused on the matter at hand. I held Arthur by the arm and I joined my friends in being criticized by the dance instructor.

<<< << < > >> >>>

After we finished, Arthur invited my friends back to our suite and we spent the day just hanging out. I could tell Kayla had become completely comfortable with my mate. I might have been jealous, but I knew it was in a completely platonic way, plus I had Arthur so close to me that there was no space at all.

Kayla was busy telling us everything that she and Rory had done since she left.

He was absentmindedly rubbing his hand on my arm. <Rory is going to surprise Kayla by taking her out on a date tonight.>

<Awe, she'll be so excited.>

<He thinks so. They're taking a limo and I'm sending them to that restaurant that I took you to.>

<Was it Rory's idea or your idea?> I asked, sort of amused.

<His, but I decided to help so I could keep you to myself for a while today.>

Well, I couldn't really complain about that sort of reasoning, I thought with a little giggle.

Kayla looked at me quizzically and then smiled knowingly. I felt my ears heat up a bit, but I did not explain since I was not going to be the one to ruin her surprise.

<I told him that I'd ask you to get her ready without spoiling it.>

<Yeah, no problem,> I said. It was fun to be a conspirator.

<I guess I'll have to get dressed up, too, or she'll know something is up. What are we going to do for supper?>

<I've got a few ideas,> Arthur said.

<How mysterious.>

<Do you like that?>

<Perhaps,> I teased him and fluttered my eyelashes. <I suppose I should go get Kayla ready. It takes some time.>

"And I've been contacted a bunch of times. And a National Scentsation reporter had the nerve to show up at my house and ask for comments after all the stuff they've been writing about you," Kayla complained.