Chapter 34: Plus One

The queen finished her stress-inducing discussion of the coming Alpha-Luna Ball, and then started talking with Arthur and I about a charity function she believed we should attend.

"The media always eats up anything with poor children," she said.

Her words were crass, but also practical, so I didn't argue.

"Showing how gracious and wonderful you are with orphans will really help to counteract the whole Future Tyrant Anne nonsense," she explained. "Plus, if you're anything like your mother, you'll probably glean satisfaction from getting in there and helping out."

"Yes, it would feel good to do something practical."

"So, after the charity gala, we're going to set up a petting zoo for the poor pups of the orphanage."

My wolf perked up in my mind. {Did I hear the queen say we're setting up a buffet for the pups?}

{She said 'petting zoo',} I repeated dryly.

{Kang-ar-roo, kang-er-roo. However you say it, it still tastes delicious.}

{Wait, when did you have kangaroo?}

{Pierce took one down in sixteen seconds. It was so hot, you wouldn't believe it. The kill was so clean." My wolf sighed. {It's never as good as in the physical world though, so I want to try it here, too.}

{Where would we even get kangaroo meat? And don't say the petting zoo.}

{Humans,} she muttered, annoyed at my answer. Then before I knew what she was doing, she linked our mate. {Arthur darling?} she crooned in a sweet tone I hadn't even known she was capable of.

{Maria?}

{Would it be possible to have kangaroo meat someday?}

He looked puzzled. {I'm sure we could find a way to import it. Just a second.} He tapped on his phone for a second before smiling at me. {We'll know tomorrow if and when we can get our hands on it.}

{Thank you, darling.}

It was weird hearing her call him darling. He smiled crookedly.

She turned her attention back to me. {See? Easy. Our mate is the best at providing.}

{Some might call it spoiling.}

She scoffed. {Killjoy.} 

I turned my attention back to the conversation, but the queen seemed to be winding down. I took a couple final bites of my food before the servers brought out the dessert course.

After a few weeks of eating like this, it was beginning to feel normal. I'd found my mate, I was engaged, and I was living in the palace, and I could finally believe it. Arthur had made it worth it, and time was making it less weird.

That night, I slept in Arthur's bed again. I hadn't been able to go back to my own after the first night. I wanted to kiss him, but I didn't, mindful of what my wolf had said about his struggles. She had probably intended it to convince me to make a move, but I didn't want to make him do something that he might regret.

He joined me in bed, and pulled me flush to him. He started to move his arm like he wanted to let it wander, but then froze it and returned it to his original position.

"Are you still interested in knowing what's happening in the kingdom, even if it might make you worry?" he asked.

He probably wanted me to say no, but he also didn't want me to lie. "Yes." I slipped away from him and rolled over so that we were face to face.