Ch 8: Silly Human Restraint

Arthur was downstairs talking to my parents with the same ease as my friends did.  My sister was also there at the kitchen table and she seemed less dismal than normal.  It even looked like she probably had not been crying in the last few hours.  I felt optimistic that this shift in our lives might just be good for her.

When Arthur heard me approach, he smiled that smile that made me feel like my bones had turned to rubber and I returned the gesture as if I was under a spell.

Seriously, it was like I could barely control myself around him.  Perhaps things would be better after we completed the Three Ms, but as I watched my father breathing from my mother's neck I realized I should probably just accept that I was doomed to be as cringey as they were.

I went and sat beside my mate and ate my breakfast with Arthur and my family.  My father had taken the day off of work so that he could see me off.  It would not be that long until I saw them again, surely, but the day did have a certain significance, because my life had drastically changed.

There was a knock at the door and my mother rushed over to open it.  Two burly werewolves tipped their hats at her and spoke to my mate.  "We're here to pick up the future princess' belongings, Prince Arthur."

The words sounded quite bizarre while I sat at the kitchen table in my childhood home.

A bit less weird when I looked over at my mate who was the prince, but still oddly world shaking.  I swallowed.

"Very good.  Everything is packed upstairs."

I leapt up from the table.  "I'll show you where," I offered.  They could probably have managed since I had labelled everything, but I needed to feel a sense of control over the situation.

I glanced back to ensure they were following, then dashed up the stairs.  I pulled open my door and looked at the pile of boxes and bags in the middle of the floor.  "It's all this stuff," I said.

"Thank you, Lady Anne," said one of the movers.  I felt awkward as I exited my bedroom, leaving two strangers behind to deal with my things.  I felt unexpectedly choked up about leaving home.

I went back to the table and sat back beside my mate.  I felt instantly better about everything, as if he would make everything work out just fine.

"It's going to be strange without you here, darling," my mother commented, her eyes just a bit teary.

I smiled at her.  "Well, you knew this day was coming, right?  If Arthur had not shown up, I would have moved away for school eventually," I pointed out as gently as I could.

"I know," she said a bit wistfully.  "I know."

The movers brought down the first load of my stuff.

I finished my slightly soggy cereal while they took all my things out into a truck.  They excused themselves and left.

Arthur followed me up to my bedroom and I searched it for anything I might have missed.  There was enough I had elected not to bring, but it still looked oddly empty and made me feel somehow sad.  Arthur sat in the chair at my desk.

"Come here?" he requested and I obliged.

He pulled me down to sit on him and I let his presence push away the forlornness that had been gaining a foothold inside me.

"You okay, Anne?" he asked.

"Yeah.  I feel a bit shaken, but I'm glad you're with me."

I turned my head to smile reassuringly at him and he drew my head closer and caught my mouth with his own and every residual bit of my anxiety dissolved leaving only contentedness behind.