Chapter 33: High-Drama Crimes

I asked Serenity what her plan for getting revenge on her mate was, and her answer was far out of the realm of what I would have ever guessed.

"Shopping."

I just blinked at her. At first, I'd thought our conversation had been going so well, and then suddenly it was all revenge and now it had devolved into incoherency.

She got to her feet, and helped me to mine. "And how does shopping get revenge on our mates."

"We max out their credit cards."

That would be difficult, because I didn't actually want to buy much of anything. And I suspected Brandon had enough funds or she wouldn't even have access to it. But maybe if I went along with it so she could spend her feelings, Serenity would be amiable to good advice about communicating afterwards. "Okay, let's go...revenge shopping?"

"Yeah, girl. I knew we were going to be friends the moment I met you. Let's go this way."

I followed her further into the conservatory to a small room tucked off to the side so skilfully it was barely visible. It was filled with tools and seemed to be a place for tending the plants. I couldn't imagine why someone like Serenity would possibly want to be in a place like this, however. "What are we—"

My question was cut off as she shoved me through the small window. I fell forward, catching myself with my hands before my face hit the dirt of one of the gardens. A moment later, Serenity followed me threw, rolling into an upright position far more gracefully than I could dream of managing.

"Okay, so now that we've shaken off our guards, we just have to go this way. The palace guards leave a gap on the east side, and once we're out there, we shift and—"

"Wait a second, what does ditching our guards have to do with maxing out your mate's credit cards?"

She smiled. "That's the revenge part. He doesn't care if I spend his money, but he hates when I do simple things he thinks are risky. Like shop without my guard."

"Well, what if we just bring my guard along?" I still hadn't forgotten the high probability that I would be abducted because I was Arthur's mate.

She gave me a look like I was the irrational one. "That would defeat the purpose, of course. Come on." She linked arms with me and pulled me up, and I went along.

Maybe reason could get through to her if I tried really hard. "You do know that your mate isn't crazy worrying, right? The statistical odds of you being abducted is really high. It's something like an average of one abduction per luna."

"Oh, good. I've already been abducted twice, so I've more than hit my quota."

My eyes bulged. "That's not how it works. Statistical odds are just the likelihood that—" My sentence was cut off by a branch in my mouth as she dragged me through some bushes.

I spit out leaves as she pulled me through an opening in the wall. "Just the likelihood that something will happen. But if you take risks, you're increasing your odds. And my odds are probably even higher than yours."

She shook her head like I was the one being irrational. "The odds of us getting spotted by the guards is really high if you keep lecturing me, Lady Anne."

Serenity continued to pull me along like I was a balloon on a string, but I didn't care. I was done trying to convince her because she clearly wasn't interested in listening to reason.

{Arthur?} I reached out to my mate.

His response was instantaneous. {Yes Anne, what is it?}

{Serenity is trying to drag me along on some ridiculous revenge shopping spree. I tried to get through to her, but it was an epic failure.}