Chapter 26: End in Catastrophe

Arthur's POV

Nothing had gone according to plan. My proposal to Anne had been a flop. We were so busy between wedding preparations, her lessons, and my various duties that I barely even got to see her. That might be tolerable, except I'd only see her perhaps during meals and then in the evening until she retreated behind that flimsy door. She didn't even bother to lock it, which taunted me while I lay in my own cold bed.

Every night I fought the urge to beg her to stay with me through the night. My wolf would whisper in the back of my head that we could just sleep innocently together, but I knew better, because my restraint was at its end.

My mother was right. I had been rash in my desire to put her father at ease, and my promise now put me in a bind. Perhaps waiting would not have been so difficult if she were reluctant, but she was anything but. If I brought her into my bed and made a move, I was certain she would enthusiastically agree, and I wouldn't have the fortitude to resist.

Which would make me a dishonourable liar. And her father would disapprove. I leaned my head into my hands.

<It's not like he needs to know, human.> Pierce was as unconcerned as ever.

I sighed. <We'd know.>

Pierce made a wolfish approximation of a shrug. <I don't care.>

<And Anne would think badly of me.>

<Maria wouldn't. She wants pups, and she's impatient.>

While Maria was important, she was just one part of Anne. I didn't want to just appeal to her animal nature. I was greedy, I wanted her mind and every part of her. <You know we need to please all of her.>

My wolf huffed his irritation.

<Very well. I can see there is no changing your mind, as ridiculous as you're being.>

<It's only three months.>

<Let's see if you're still saying that in a week.> He didn't even try to hide his amusement at my troubles.

My wolf, as usual, was annoyingly correct. A week later I was ready to chew my own limb off like an animal caught in a trap just to get to my mate. I wasn't caught in a trap though, I was just caught behind a pile of reports I was supposed to be reviewing. Lucas was in my office with me, leaning back and spinning in a chair while he looked up at the sheaf of reports in his hand.

"Let's take a lunch break," I said. It wasn't like I was getting anything done anyway with my mate dancing through my mind.

He smiled with an uncharacteristic amount of unsarcastic enthusiasm as he got up from the chair and threw the papers down on the second desk. His abrupt movement momentarily distracted me from my Anne obsession, wondering what his deal was.

He was halfway to the door before I said, "We'll meet back here at one-thirty." What was the point of being the prince if I couldn't occasionally abuse my power for extra long lunch hours?

"See you then," he said, and left without looking back. Odd.

I decided to follow him before finding Anne and taking the edge off of my nagging longing, but only three steps out the door I was intercepted by my mother's secretary. I pushed down my urge to groan in displeasure as she curtsied respectfully. She was only doing her job.

"Prince Arthur, your mother wanted me to bring you a message."

I sighed. Of course she couldn't just send me an email like a normal person. Once I was fully in charge, we were digitalizing everything. "Go on, please."