Chapter 12: Instinctive Satisfaction

Author's Note:

Happy first Friday in February!

I've been writing The Vampire and the Rebel for the past month and a half, and I'm about halfway through.  My intention is to finish it before I exhaust my HTSAWR buffer and then turn my attention back to this story.

I will not let myself get distracted by this ONC thing no matter how much people's enthusiasm keeps turning my head.  "Nelle, join us...  It sounds so fun... Drop all your strategic writing plans... Start a new project before finishing your old ones...  Join us..."

(Unless I do? 😶)

Haha, staying strong!  (Since I added this author's note earlier today I totally wrote an idea down... Shall see if I get terribly inspired or not, in truth that will probably be the deciding factor.)

Thanks for reading!

<<< << < > >> >>>

I had been turned into something of a werewolf mannequin eight ball.

I was supposed to stand there perfectly still while the designer draped one swatch after another over me and then wanted me to predict what would work well for some future functions that were still a mystery to me.

Perhaps I would have eschewed comfort and spent more time paying attention to couture in my tiny backwater town if I had known I was going to be mated to the prince, but the unlikely scenario I now found myself in had never even crossed my mind as a possibility.

Finally, I pleaded, "Couldn't you just pick for me?  You're the expert, right?  I'd just like clothing that's fairly comfortable and not too flashy."

"Well, I do suppose I could, Lady Anne."

"Thank you," I said gratefully.

I assumed I would soon possess an insane number of clothes, so surely I could find something tolerable with so many choices at my disposal.

When my ordeal was over, I began to make my way in the direction I hoped was my room.  I had paid careful attention to where I was going, but my mind kept drifting towards all the things I had seen in my tour with Arthur.  The royal city had some amazing sights and also some terrible ones.

Would it be possible for a princess to do some sort of actual charity work, or would there be too many security issues?  It would be nice if I could do some good with my position.

"Lady Anne?" A soft voice interrupted my thoughts and I realized that there was a gloriously beautiful woman coming towards me.  She had silvery hair and diamond eyes and I realized she would be exactly the sort of woman who Arthur would keep in his underground harem, if he had been scandalously libertine rather than responsible and controlled.

I nodded.  I had never worried about my appearance since I, like all werewolves, was quite attractive, but this woman made me feel as plain as a sheet of blank paper.  She swept into a curtsey that put my earlier attempt to shame.

"I am Luna Fleur," she told me in that melodious voice.  I wondered if she was part Siren.

I bet she could launch a thousand ships if she put her mind to it.

I might get a dozen, if I tried really hard and was particularly lucky.

"It's nice to meet you," I said as nicely as I could manage.  What woman did not want to meet someone who made her look plain in comparison?  I shoved the bitter thought away.  It only mattered how I looked to Arthur, and surely he at least would choose me above this goddess.