Chapter 36: Unorthodox Methods

Arthur's POV

Xavier was partially shifted, lost in a territorial rage. My own wolf wasn't much better, because this alpha was pushing his luck in my kingdom, in my home. Worst of all, he was putting my mate in danger with his reckless aggression.

Anne stopped squirming in my arms. She hadn't been pleased when I'd stopped her from rushing forward to aid her sister, but Lucas was better equipped to handle the situation than my untrained mate. I'd intended to offer that she receive proper training, but she'd been so busy I hadn't wanted to add more to her already packed schedule.

But Xavier had just moved it to the top of the priority list.

Both Lucas and Xavier were huffing as stared at each other. Lucas was in a defensive position, watching for Xavier's next move, while Xavier's canny eyes were searching for an opening. He growled, frustrated at the lack of opportunity.

Then he lunged towards Lucas.

"Xavier!" Fleur screamed. "Stop this at once!"

Xavier ceased his attack. Only partially shifted, his vocal cords were barely intact enough to rasp out, "You cheated on me. With who? I'll kill him!" 

"I didn't cheat on you, you monster! I meant the baby is mine. Just mine. You're too dangerous to be near it. Just look at you now, you're acting like a monster!" Fleur's voice rose with every word.

By this time, every person from the oldest alpha to the youngest server were all frozen and gaping at the unfolding scene, if they weren't moving closer for a better view or to help. Brandon joined Lucas in ensuring Xavier would stay back, but Xavier showed no signs of backing down, his chest rising and falling roughly with each breath. I released my mate and stepped forward. Maybe the prince would be enough to make him see reason, before my father had to step in.

Unfortunately, Anne did not stay put when I released her, instead joining her gaping sister where she was closer to the luna of the dangerous alpha. 

{Anne, please get further away.}

{I need to convince Ellen to do that first.}

I inhaled deeply. She could have tried to do that over the mind link, her change of location was almost certainly her protectiveness of her family. It was a wonderful trait, except that I wanted her to be safe. 

For the millionth time, I reminded myself and my wolf that we couldn't just wrap her in bubble wrap and lock her in a room. The only solution to Anne being free was to make sure everywhere was safe for her. I turned my attention to the current threat.

Xavier lunged, pushing through Lucas and Brandon. They grabbed him, but he was right in Fleur's face. Which meant my mate and her sister were only a stride further away. Fleur was cowering, and Anne looked nervous, but also angry. I circled around to get closer to her. If Anne refused to leave, she'd have to deal with me right beside her.

Before I reached her side, she spoke. "Stop." Maria's power was in her tone, much like an alpha command.

Xavier gave my mate an evil look that sent fear shooting into my heart. Why was she challenging a serious threat? Two more strides brought me to her side, but she'd already opened her mouth again. While it didn't affect me, Maria's power rang out clearly. "I told you to back down. Stop looming over your mate like that."

I readied myself to intercept his attack, but to my shock, he stopped struggling against Lucas's and Brandon's grips. He was now scowling at Anne, and Pierce had enough.

{Kill him, or I'll do it.}

The suggestion was beautiful, but we couldn't. {First we should see what she does. You don't want to get in Maria's way, do you?}