Nine

Warning:
Mature Themes
Not Intended for Younger Audiences

Something that had been forced down my throat begins to bubble back up. A wracked sobs escapes my lips and tears form in my empty eyes. I cover my face with my hands, not wanting to looking anymore.

"Brother... Brother..." I sob, unable to keep in my thoughts, "I'm a f-f-fail-failure brother!"

Slowly, I feel the hand leave my shoulder and a presence leave the room. I continue to sob into my hands for a while, unable to stop the tears from forming and falling.

After a while, I sniffle and wipe my eyes on the suit's sleeves. I glance back up into the glass to see my eyes are reddened and closed slightly. I sigh and rub my eyes once again.

"How can you be p-p-pr-proud of proud of a s-s-someo-someone as useless as me?" I whisper, stumbling over my words.

I shake my head lowly as I look out the window. I notice that the sun is higher in the sky, just over the mountains. I panic as I realize just how much time I've wasted.

"Diluc is probably waiting for me. There's n-nono way I can get to the ch-church and the winery without him get-get-getting mad," I sigh.

I turn and quietly sneak out of brother's room and into the hall. The house is eerily silent for this early morning. Generally, servants are out and about preparing for the day, but no one is here.

I swallow a thick lump in my throat. I grasp my hands together, around my new vision. The feeling of a warm summer breeze encases my body, soothing my spirits.

I quickly make it down stairs and into the entrance hall. I look around still to find no one around. I hum slightly, concerned on where they might be. Charles isn't even here, and he's always somewhere around. I gulp and shake my head, shaking the scary thoughts away from my simple mind.

I know I'm simple minded. I know I'm not as bright or intelligent as all the others. I know full well that I'm only the heiress to my family because my brother passed away. And I know full well that my parents don't love me, no where near as much as they loved my brother. I see the way they look at me; with distain and disgust. They scoff every time I stutter on my words, and roll their eyes when I try to speak more slowly to control my stutter. I know these things all too well.

If only I were never born

I let out a sigh before opening the door slowly. The cloudy sunlight shines into my eyes as I slip out of the house. I check the streets to see barely anyone roaming around. I tiptoe towards the main road out of Mondstadt so I can head towards the winery.

Something glittery catches my eye. I look over to see one of the few people who treat me fairly.

"Noelle!" I call out.

The silver haired maiden, just about my age turns around quickly. She smiles and waves at me. I quickly trot over to her and hug her tight.

"Noelle, what are you-are you-are you doing here?"

"Hmm? Oh! I'm just getting a few groceries for the knights' headquarters. We're nearly out of stock. Do you need anything?"

I look down, digging my toe into the dirt.

"Can I- can I- can I ask you t-t-t-to do something for me?"

"Oh! Of course!"

"Um... Master Ragnvindr asked-asked-asked me to... see him this mor-morning."

Noelle's green eyes widen. I've told her how Ragnvindr scares me and how I'm afraid to go hear him.

"Would you like me to accompany you to the winery? It's rather far, and Hilichurls and slimes are out and about. I would love to protect you," she says with a sweet smile.

I look up to her, tears slightly forming in my eyes.

"Th-Thank yo-Thank you, Noelle."

She smiles with closed eyes.

"Of course. As my duty as a maid, and my duty as your friend, I will accompany you to the winery."