Thirty Four

Warning:
Mature Themes
Not Intended for Younger Audiences

Trigger Warning:
Violence and Abuse

For the first time in what feels like eons, I feel like I can breath. The air in Mondstadt has always been clean and fresh. The slight breeze that is always present within the high walls is always wonderful. But still, I feel confined. For the first time, I feel like the walls are trapping me in place instead of feeling like they keep me safe from outside forces.

"The weather is lovely today, isn't it, my love?" Diluc asks.

I don't want to answer him. I just look to the ground, watching my feet tap lightly against the stony ground.

"My love?" Diluc asks again.

"Weather..." I mumble, not sure of anything that's going on inside my brain.

"My love, are you alright? I thought you would be happy visiting Mondstadt."

I can't help but let out a depressing sigh escape my lips. Something deep inside my chest feel so wrong. Mondstadt is the city of freedom, a place to find one's own happiness. Then why? Why do I feel so confined within your walls?

"I'm f-fine, Dilu-Diluc. D-Don-Don't worry about me," I whisper out.

"Are you sure?"

I nod my head, looking away from his direction. I hear him audibly sigh before wrapping his arm around my waist, drawing me closer to his form. A shudder runs down my body instinctively.

"Let's head to the lower plaza, shall we? I know you enjoy spending time by the fountain."

A sudden feeling of shock zaps my body, but quickly dissipates when I realize why he knows this. He said he follows me. He said he watches me. He said he protects me.

Diluc holds me close, walking me up the short stairs. Each familiar sound reaches my ears. The sound of shops luring you to buy something, the sweet smells of foods and flowers, even the occasional bark or meow of an animal nearby.

Once we reach the top of the stairs, I can't help but look up, wanting to look at the world around me. That's when I saw her.

My eyes widen and a sudden force pushes me forwards. I can't help but run towards her, wrapping my arms around her body, burying my face in her chest.

"Eula!"

She takes a step back from the shock and the force of my body colliding into her.

"(Y/n)! Where have you been recently?" I can just hear her smile.

I look up to her and see her beautiful goldeny blue eyes. A faint smile is present on her lips as she carefully wraps her arms around my back.

Joy is all I can feel in this moment. Being with someone who genuinely cares about me. Being with someone who really loves me. Being with someone who respects me. All I can feel is overwhelming happiness in this short moment of time.

"(Y/n)"

My body goes ridged. I look up to see Eula's face go stern. She looks up to see behind me.

"Get back here."

I look up to Eula's face, a feeling of tears lining my eyes before robotically letting her go. My one saving grace and I have to let it slip from my fingers.

I mechanically turn around, taking rough steps towards the man I dread most. His face is dark and an evil glow is present in his eyes.

What seems like a long time, I make it back to Diluc's side. He quickly grabs hold of my side and forces his "protection" around me. His arms are strong and stiff, not letting go no matter how hard I wish to struggle.

"Diluc Ragnvindr," Eula says with a proper tone, "As the morning dew greets the dawn, so do I greet you, my dear friend."

Words recited over and over again, I remember her practicing those words on me when we were little. Even though she has abandoned her name, she still holds onto her old fashioned ways. She's so strong. I wish I was like her. I wish I was strong. I wish I was brave. I wish I was anyone else but me.

"Lady Lawrence, my greetings to one such as yourself is one of humble origins," Diluc recites back.

"Might I inquire of you, Master Ragnvindr, as to why you speak so harshly to your companion?" Eula asks, having a faint, almost indistinguishable, look of worry on her face as she glances on me.

"That, unfortunately, has nothing pertaining to one's need to know."

I look at Eula, looking deep into her eyes.

"Help me."

Eula slightly goes ridged before composing herself once more. She lets out a slight sigh before nodding her head to Diluc.

"I see, well then, I will be off. I bid thee, my dear friends, adieu."

She then quickly turns and walks off. I know her. She's still worried. She's planning on watching us from a far. Please, Eula, come and save me.

Diluc then roughly snaps me out of my thoughts by dragging me down the ally way, towards Angel's Share. His steps are hard against the stony ground. Diluc is practically dragging me along at this point. Soon enough, he leads me behind the bar.

"What did I tell you to do?"

I can feel tears start to reline my eyes. I turn away, looking at the ground in shame. Diluc quickly grabs the side of my arms and shakes me, forcing me to look at him.

"What did I tell you to do, (Y/n)?!" he practically screams.

"T-To sta-stay by you-your side...?"

"And what did you do?!"

"I went-went to hu-hug Eula?"

Suddenly, a stinging pain is felt across my cheek. I don't even really register it until the heat engulfs the wound on my face. I look in shock at Diluc to see his hand still in the air. I can't help but raise a hand to my cheek, feeling the pain as I gently touch it.

"You... sl-slapped me..."

"Yes I did. I told you that I will punish you for being bad. You were doing so good today, and now look at you," Diluc huffs. "I didn't want to hit you. I never want to hurt my baby darling. But you needed to be punished. If you act out again, I won't hesitate to bring you back home and give you a real punishment. Do you understand?"

Hot, wet tears stream down my face like water through a river. I simply nod my head, still holding my face in pain.

"Yes... Di-Diluc. I under-under-understand."

His expression softens, eyes going to a half lidded state. A small smile presses his lips as he brings them to my cheek.

"That's my good girl. I love you. Be a good girl for me, won't you?"

"Y-Yes... Diluc..."