fourteen

I was wrong, and I just can't live without you

player; baby come back

fourteen

♡♡♡♡

"How's it going over there?" I sighed and sat down on the stool connected to the island and closed my laptop. I was exhausted and completely void of any energy to even stand on my own. I had been working non-stop and it effectively had been distracting me from any of my real problems. However, no matter how distracted I was during the day, my thoughts still haunted me when I was alone with them during the night and they bled right into my dreams.

"Fine. One more month before I come back home thankfully. How are your parents?" Joy was really the only person I consistently talked to while I was here in Osaka. My parents were always doing their own thing; travelling the world and occasionally calling to check up on me. If I was being honest, I was happy they were enjoying themselves, especially since they were getting old and life was so short. Not that I was expecting anything to happen to them.

I heard shuffling over on Joy's end, she laughed. "My parents are good. Anyway, guess who's come by a few times." She said in a sing-song voice. I frowned.

"Who?" I asked cautiously. I was starting to feel a little jittery.

"Who do you think Eve?"

"Why would he come there? And why is this the first time I'm hearing about this?"

"He obviously still loves you. We don't even know what happened? And I didn't want to tell you because I know you'd freak out. Just like how you're about to right now." I jumped up from my chair and started pacing around.

"Well I know enough. You didn't tell him anything about where I am did you?" She didn't say anything for a second too long. I started feeling a little betrayed and incredulous of her. "Joy!"

"Well..." She paused and sighed. "I didn't say anything much. You've both got me in an awkward position, what do you want me to say Eve? Your girlfriend ran away because she thought you cheated on her?"

"I didn't run away." I mumbled. Deep down I knew that wasn't completely true. I hadn't even known him long. But I had fallen head over heels in love with him. Which was the most embarrassing thing I've ever done in my life. I would never admit it outloud.

"Well it was part of the reason you left. Let's be honest." She let out a breath. "Don't you think it's a little cowardly? He's always here. Let's not forget, you've blocked his number so it's not like he can call you like he probably wants to." The weight of her words made me feel guilty but it also made me feel angry. He was always there?

Was I in the wrong?

Had I really done wrong by John-Paul this time too? I know he was wrong too. The whole length of our interactions had been built on a lot of things that were a bit off to me, I now realized.

"Okay." I sighed. "I'll talk to him."

She gasped.

"You will?" I started to nod, about to respond too when I heard a voice on the other end and froze.

Very much like Joy indeed.

Of course I recognized who the voice belonged to. I heard it everywhere and around me all the time, especially when I didn't want to.

"You can't be serious, Joy!" She laughed.

"I'm sorry. Hey, he was in the next room anyway." I sighed, fuming but trying to compose myself.

"In my room?!"

"It's not like he hasn't been there before, stop making a big deal out of this." She paused, saying something that wasn't directed at me but to Jonesy and I couldn't make out what it was. "Well? Do you want to get this over with or not? I don't have all day." I sighed. I knew she was just trying to help. But I still felt a bit betrayed. Nonetheless, I knew what type of person Joy was and I knew she could only hold on to so much.

"Fine." I whispered.

I heard a shuffle and heard Joy say she would be in her room from a distance.

It was quiet for a second and I couldn't help but hold my breath in anticipation. My heart was beating erratically.

"Eve."

I didn't say anything in return. I didn't know what to say.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too." I say in a small voice.

"Where," He paused. "Where have you been?" I frowned.

"Why do you care?"

"What does that mean? I care." He said in a soft voice. "I care Eve." The same voice he used when I first met him and the third time when I was nervous for our date. Despite this, I was still doubtful of him. I was also doubtful of him, he hadn't proved anything. I wish he would stop saying my name like that.

I wish he wouldn't give me false hope.

"Jonesy-, I don't know what we're doing. I don't know what I'm doing."

"Where are you?"

"Are you listening to me right now?"

"Of course I'm listening. I don't want to have this conversation over the phone." He stopped for a second but still continued. I thought I may have heard keys jingle. No drive would get him here. Thankfully. "Where are you?"

"Jonesy, I-"

"Stop. We aren't talking about this over the phone. I won't let you try."

"Jonesy, you can't just come see me right now."

He sighed. "Are you going to tell me where you are or not?" I started feeling a little anxious. And quite nervous. He had never been this adamant. Did he think I was going to say something horrible?

"I'm out of the country." He didn't say anything for a while.

"Where, Eve."

♥♥♥