n i n e

The One with the Black Out (unedited)
-
n i n e :

I UPDATED EVERY 6-7 IF I CAN FOR PEOPLE ASKING.

I awoke in the witching hours of the night to the drumming thump of pouring rain and howling gusts of vigorous winds.

I thought I wasn't in Kansas anymore?

(Wizard of Oz reference. I didn't literally live in Kansas.)

I rubbed my eyes, looking out the window at trees being swayed back and forth by the monstrous winds. This wasn't just a thunderstorm. There was something more. I would say a tornado, but this wasn't exactly tornado alley.

"Jess? Are you awake too?" I looked over to see Joey curled into a ball in the corner of the room, holding a small book and a flashlight. The poor child looked terrified.

"No, I'm sleep walking," I chuckled. Maybe I'm too sarcastic. "Are you okay?" I cooed, walking over to her.

"Yeah, me?" She sputtered. "I'm fine, yeah. I love the storms. Totally calming."

"You know you're horrendous at lying, right?"

"So I've been told." She chuckled. "I'm just not very used to these storms. They're kind of scary, you know?" I nodded, quietly sitting down next to her, wrapping my arm and blanket around her.

"Yeah. When I lived in Indiana, I babysat these little boys. There were four of them. It was really stormy one night, and I was supposed to be staying over. I had to keep the boys calm, you know? I couldn't let them that I was scared to death. I had sent them all to bed that night, and sat on the couch watching the news. Lo and behold, there was a tornado in our path. I was scared to death the wake up the boys and tell them that they were about to die.

"I woke them up and took them to the basement, claiming I wanted to build a fort with them. So, we built a fort, and by the end of it, they crawled into the fort and fell asleep. The tornado passed through the neighborhood, so close to that house, but they stayed asleep the whole time." I summed up, laying my head on hers.

"What was the point of that story?"

"You can find a distraction. I'm exhausted. If you want to, you can lay with me, yeah?"

***

I woke up with a foot in my mouth. I don't have a foot fetish or anything, so it was absolutely disgusting. I despise the morning. If I do not wake on my own accord, I will do whatever I can to get out of doing what I'm doing that day, so that I can sleep in. It's like a whole different person. But slowly, though it takes a couple hours, I transform back into my natural state.

"Jess, Joey, get up. You missed breakfast."

Okay, that's what will wake me up.

"We what?" I shouted, sitting up quickly and pushing the foot from my lips.

"You slept through breakfast." Stevie stated simply as she folded a purple towel.

"How dare you let me miss breakfast," I spat through my teeth, falling back on the bed.

"There's a huge storm right now, and I'm pretty sure we're in the center because it stopped raining out of no where, and it's covering almost the whole state." She explained, walking over to my bed. I don't think that legend it true, but I ignored it.

"Yeah, where did that storm come from?" I mumbled, sitting up.

"I don't know, some hurricane like a billion miles away. It's still affecting us, though," she groaned. "So get up and come to the Big House now. We're watching a movie. Most of today's activities have been canceled." I sighed, letting my feet hit the oak floor.