s e v e n t e e n

A Lesson Better Learned by Smokey the Bear
+
s e v e n t e e n

There were lots of things that ran through my head as I felt my quick descent to the ground. It was a race of my thoughts: which one would develop fastest? The usual, predictable ones flew, like, "Did everyone see?" "Am I going to be made fun of?" "Am I hurt?" However, my primary concern at this moment in time was none of the above. I specifically remember one though clouding the others, and it was, "That little b.itch a.ss hoe."

I was positive that it was thanks to Elle that I'd fallen, because the plank she held was fallen in on her side, and she stepped back incredibly fast so that I wouldn't land on her.

When I hit the ground, I heard a loud grunt. Turns out, it was me. My hand went directly to my ankle, swiftly curling my knee into my body to cuddle the dull throbbing. I gripped tightly, contorting my face in pain and looking up to the sky. As soon as my eyes were opened, I was ready to find Elle and shave her head with a butter knife. I was surprised to find a handful people rushing over to me, trying to assist me in getting up. I wasn't sure who most of them were, but I could point out Kassy, Monique, and of course, Harry. The girls were kindly and tenderly offering their hands, while Harry plowed through the ladies, apologizing multiple times after pushing them down to the ground so that he could reach me.

I was overwhelmed by the people surrounding me, and could feel my breath begin to hitch in my throat.

"Are you okay? Do you need help?" Harry muttered, his brows pushed together as his hand gripped my thigh. I only stared at his palm as my chest began to rise and fall faster.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I wanted everyone to look away. "I'm fine everyone. You can back away, please." Everyone scooted out of my way, but Harry remained next to me, pulling my body up. "You don't have to-"

"No, it's okay. It's my job." My heart fell, but I was quick to respond.

"Your job?" I smirked and scoffed quietly under my breath, so that only he could hear me. "Was your job also keeping me up late every night and making out with me against a tree?"

"It comes with many tasks," he chuckled softly, his arm still around me as he helped me walk with one leg, since it seemed I had twisted my ankle, thanks to the Great B.itch.

I hissed in pain when I tried to plant my injured foot on the ground, tilting my head up to the sky and clenching my teeth. Harry stopped walking for that purpose, and waiting for the ache go subside. "Sorry," I mumbled, still biting down.

"Don't apologize," he said, still quietly. I took a deep breath and continued on. He was very solemn as we traveled to the med-center. As soon as we entered, his arm was off me, causing me to feel minuscule, and devalued. He walked into a separate room, mumbling for me to "wait there" under his breath without making eye contact. I hopped on my good foot over to a bed, plopping down and taking my shoe off.

My ankle was beginning to swell, and a light plum colour blushed across the surface of the skin, in dazzling little clusters. My lip was bitten harshly in case there was some sort of pain to be relieved as I ghosted my fingers over the enlarging lump. My head perked up when Harry came waddling in the room, focusing his aphotic eyes anywhere but mine.

"Well, she isn't in here," he fumbled out, rubbing the back of his neck. "So, I guess I can wrap it."

"I can do it," I suggested. I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable because he was obligated to help me because of his job, "if you want."

He shook his head. "No, it's better if I do it. I'll get some ice, too." He left the room again, toddling away from me. I rapidly blinked at the awkward way he was carrying himself. He returned with far too many products in one hand, and a bag of frozen vegetables in the other. "I hope you like peas," he smiled, still not looking at me as he kneeled down, grabbing my ankle and wiping around the area with some kind of cleaner. I felt like Jesus.