|| Chapter 50 || In Your Eyes

Edited 05.24.23

The sky has already grown dark by the time you reach the Dueling Peaks Stable. You desperately want to keep going, although doing so wouldn't be wise. Hyrule Field is notorious when it comes to monsters during the day, let alone once the sun sets. Besides, it would be harder to find anyone in the dark especially if they, themselves, decided to camp somewhere seduced like in a cave or some ruins. With this in mind, it's in your best interest to wait until sunrise to keep moving.

Normally, you avoid using stables unless the weather's bad or you're just too tired to set up camp. You're not the biggest fan of spending the night so close to strangers, the likes of which tend to vary depending on location, however seeing as you're already here, you might as well pay for a night's stay. Dueling Peaks is one of the nicer stables, anyways, and their breakfast is some of the best in Hyrule (not that food is one of your priorities at the moment).

After claiming a bed and getting situated, you chose to lean against the wooden beam of the doorway while enjoying a song currently being played mere yards away by the fire. The musicians clearly take a lot of pride over their work, swaying to their own joint melody with smiles printed across their faces.

It's always been nice to see people so happy and at peace these days. It took some time, but most people around Hyrule have finally managed to move on from the Calamity - at least they've been able to stop fearing it as much. While worry about this broken world still weighs heavy on one's mind, especially within the older generations and places where Divine Beasts still run rampant, you've noticed that inhabitants have started accepting the Calamity as something far behind them.

Noted, the Calamity will likely never be completely forgotten seeing as its effects haven't entirely faded. Most of Hyrule Field including the entire area surrounding Hyrule Castle is deemed 'unlivable' and recently, you've heard word of an increase in activity from the Yiga Clan along with swarms of monsters, too.

While no attacks have been made on towns or villages, it remains highly advised against that ill-prepared travelers to leave populated areas. For this reason, most have never left their home unless they're capable fighters or just really optimistic, the latter seemingly to apply more than ever primarily among young Hylians which you assume to be a result of everyone dropping their fears about the Calamity.

Sadly, you can't share their relaxation. Despite your efforts to uphold your job as a Champion and protect Hyrule, there's only so much you've been able to do alone. As mentioned, attacks have been on the rise with growing monster populations and without a Sheikah Slate, you can do nothing about the Divine Beasts. Since you hold the responsibility of six champions upon your shoulders, you'll be remembering the Calamity for a while.

You hear the sound of footsteps approaching the doorway behind you, yet they're largely echoed out by the music. Seeing that stables are normally pretty safe, you pay little attention, only sneaking a glance at the other traveler when they stand not far from you. Despite this lukewarm glance, you feel your heart stop immediately.

You don't even have words right away. All you can do is simply stare, taking in your first sight of him in over a hundred years. To think you were so concerned about making it to the Great Plateau only for him to be here. Throughout the last hundred years, you've dreamed about seeing him again and now he's literally standing right beside you. Judging by the fact that he doesn't say anything, he must not have noticed you yet.

Recovering from your shock, you can't control the smile that overtakes your lips. It's possibly the biggest you've worn since the Calamity, if not your entire life. Your blood feels warm, but body shaky as you face him more fully. You can barely keep yourself from embracing him in a bone crushing hug, melting into his touch while wordlessly promising that you'll never be apart again.