|| Chapter 30 || A Qualified Champion

Edited 04.13.23

He's never been a good sorcerer - not by any standard of his people, although that has never bothered him much. Plenty of youth his age struggle with magic, in fact in recent decades, it's become perfectly normal for some to never learn the craft at all. With every generation, magic has seemed to fade more and more from the tribe; a great concern no one dares voice to the rest of Hyrule.

In all honesty, Cody used to not be too worried about his slim chances at becoming a 'great sorcerer'; it wasn't his forte, so what? Unfortunately, that mindset changed about a month ago. Now, magic is all he thinks about. Succeeding is his only drive. Unlike the other sorcerers his age who are allowed to stray away from their magic origins, he must strengthen them...somehow...

It didn't make sense to him then and still doesn't make sense now: why did his father choose him of all sorcerers to become a champion of Hyrule? Yes, the Chief wants glory for his tribe and, most importantly, for himself, so it's only natural that he'd select his own kin, however his son is so unqualified! What's the point in making them both look like fools?

"HEY! CODY!"

...Then there's you, eldest child of the Sorcerer Chief - his blood and eventual heir according to tradition. Unlike your brother, you've been an exception to what the elders bitterly call the magic 'storage'. You're far more determined when it comes to learning spells, not to mention you have enough natural skill to challenge even the most seasoned of sorcerers and sorceresses. In Cody's eyes, it's absolutely criminal that your father didn't choose you to be the family champion instead.

"(Y/n)? What are you doing here?" To say your visit is unexpected would be an understatement. You've been exchanging letters frequently since his move to the Castle and you usually end each with a complaint regarding how much you've been missing him seeing as this is the first time either of you have been apart, however you said nothing about visiting. Now, little surprises aren't exactly unheard of with you, however you coming all this way is quite a big deal considering he's certain you've never even stepped foot out of Faron before.

Despite his confusion, you seem pretty nonchalant yourself as if your home is just down the block from Hyrule Castle (not an entire kingdom away).

"I brought you lunch!" You announce proudly while holding out a fabric bundle to him. Hesitantly, he takes it.

"You...came all this way to give me lunch?"

"I was planning on staying and visiting for a bit, too - if you aren't busy," you lay an arm over his shoulders, pulling him closer, "I was gonna make your favorite, but we didn't have any more crab, so I just made seafood rice balls instead. Is that okay?"

You're wearing a relaxed smile, one others are usually no wiser than to accept, however Cody has grown up by your side. He knows you and he knows how to spot that ever so slight wear in your eyes. Of course, you're just as aware of his mannerisms as he is to yours, so that pout that stays on his face doesn't get past your notice, "...What? I can't come visit my favorite brother?"

"I'm your only brother - only sibling for that matter..." He mumbles, not looking up at you while taking his time to pick at the fabric bundle until the knot comes undone.

You give a heavy sigh, glancing off towards the castle with a whisper of your own, "...I'm avoiding father..."

"...Oh..." Cody hums, his frown becoming more troubled, although truthfully your confession isn't shocking - the opposite really seeing as he already assumed as much the second he saw you running his way. You're always looking for an escape from that man and no one can blame you for it.