|| Chapter 11 || His Safe Return

Edited 03.05.23

Zora children run circles around the Domain, their hands outstretched towards the sky as they cheer while the adults talk giddily among themselves. Even the elders, as sour as they've been lately, hold joy in their eyes as they appreciate having awoken this morning to the bright sun they haven't seen in months.

The race's delight doesn't end with just the storm. At the sight of their Prince returning home from the East Reservoir, they had hurried to rally around him, some asking if he's the one responsible for saving them from Ruta's rampaging, although most simply assume that to be the case, showering him in thanks he refuses to accept.

"No, no you're mistaken. The one who stopped the rainfall is the Hylian Champion, Link. I only aided him a little," Sidon explains modestly, happy to fill his people in on the events of this morning and how brave the Hylian hero had been when entering Divine Beast Vah Ruta alone.

The amazed crowd is so busy gripping onto his every word that they fail to acknowledge the way you try to weave your way through, a distressed look crossing your once hopeful face when you finally reach the front, "Sidon, where's Link?"

Unlike the others who were obvious to you, the Prince immediately pauses his dramatic reenactment to answer your worries, "He's entered Vah Ruta to finish the task of taking the Divine Beast back for the Zoras and Hyrule - oh, but not to fret! He was perfectly fine when I last saw him - uninjured and in high spirits, you have my word. I'm sure he'll return the same, I just know it!"

Realizing how many eyes now seem to be staring at you, you bow your head shyly and force yourself to smile, "Ah, alright. He's okay then...Thank you, Sidon..."

Ducking out of the way of the Zoras, you leave to allow the Prince a chance to finish his story in peace, however he isn't blind to realize his words hadn't done much to smooth your inner anxieties. Thus, dismissing himself from the crowd, he hurries after you.

"I assure you, Link will return safely! He's a great Champion, after all!"

"I know he is, but unfortunately, Champions are still mortal. Hyrule already lost the others all those years ago and Link himself almost died...It's a possibility that he could get hurt again especially since I don't think he's really gotten back into the swing of things just yet," you hug yourself, unintentional using the same wording as your previous joke, although remembering it no longer brings you any sort of joy.

It's a serious concern of yours. Link's memory had apparently been chipped away during his long slumber and he seems to have forgotten more than just his past itself or the people he knew. Once a great knight recognized for his unmatched skill, he doesn't appear to have quite the same skill level anymore, you've noticed, unless you merely gave yourself too high of expectations for the Hylian Champion.

What if he runs into something he doesn't understand inside that Divine Beast? What if he gets lost? What if he does something stupid like jumping off a high ledge again?! You're not there to keep an eye on him. You promised Impa and yourself that you'd keep an eye on him, at the very least until he began to find his own footing once more...

Sidon frowns before an idea comes to mind, "You know, my sister once gave me a piece of advice I use even now. She said that the more you believe in someone, the better they'll do with your support. All we have to do is believe in Link and his ability to succeed without injury!"

"Without injury's something hard to accomplish given his current situation and the odds..." you whisper, doubting the liability of Sidon's suggestion. Can simple thoughts and beliefs alone really protect Link? You highly doubt that especially when considering everything that happened during the Great Calamity, yet at the same time, you have no better ideas yourself...It's better than just sitting around moping and you'd hate to risk affecting Sidon with your negativity.

"...That is good advice; very wise."

"That's the spirit!" He applauds, flashing his signature grin, "Now I apologize, but I really should be telling my father of the news. You're welcome to come along if you wish. I'd love to hear about your adventures on the way! You've been traveling for many years, correct?"

You nod, following the Prince to the throne room since you could use a proper distraction anyways, "Yes, I've been a traveler for many years now."

~~~

"He's back!" Sidon's the first to greet the tired hero upon his return to the Domain, although other excited Zoras aren't far behind.

Together, they greet Link, glad to see that he's alive and to hear that he had not only defeated the terrifying monster inside Vah Ruta, but that he had also released Mipha's soul which had been trapped there. While upset to confirm her fate which they've always known and feared deep down, they're relieved to know she'll now be able to rest at long last.

Link is escorted to the King's throne room where the Zoras collectively cheer loud enough for that lynel on Ploymus Mountain to probably hear. Despite how worn out and beat up he is with cuts and bruises covering his body (although nothing life threatening), he manages a small smile, his cheeks as red as an apple due to all the attention he's receiving.

As expected, King Dorephan is overjoyed just like his people are. He welcomes Link, giving an honorable speech in thanks for the hero's successful efforts which have brought peace to Zora's Domain. Every Zora watches this ceremony, clapping when Link's awarded with Mipha's very own Lightscale Trident, something her family has been holding onto in remembrance for all this time, although as the King states, it'll serve much better use to the hero's journey than it will wasting away in a dusting chest.

Link's thankful for all of the appreciation the Zoras show him even though he didn't conquer Ruta for recognition, however he unintentionally echoes out parts of the King's speech, too busy scanning the crowd in the corners of his eyes while hoping to spot you somewhere within.

It isn't until the speech is finished that Link turns around and quickly finds you standing at the back of the throne room, leaning against the wall. When it seems like you're looking directly at him, he smiles and starts to raise his hand to wave, however before he can approach you, he ends up being surrounded by the crowd as they all desire to give him their own short speeches about how grateful they are.

For only a moment, Link meets your eyes, unable to help noticing that you seem a bit...upset. You didn't return his smile earlier nor do you now when he tries his best to stand on his toes and send you one over the many shoulders and fins standing between you both. You merely turn your head while wearing a small frown, leaving the throne room without him.