|| Chapter 55 || Together Again

Edited 06.14.23

"...It's Ganon..."

You feel a chill run down your spine, your face visibly paling. Your mouth must've opened and closed a dozen times while your mind tried to desperately process the information just provided to you, however despite your clear shock, Cody continues speaking within seconds, explaining everything in such an anguished rush that many of his words become blended together:

"It's all my fault, (Y/n)! I-I made it easy for him! When I first started hearing his voice in my head, I thought I was simply imagining things, so I dismissed it! Even when I realized there was actually someone else in my head, I was scared but I-I didn't tell you...You were dealing with so much already and I just wanted to be strong for once and I thought I could handle it on my own, but I only let it get more out of hand!

"He started to manipulate how I felt and thought. At first it was only when I was upset or angry, but t-then I started to hear him more and more and I started actually blacking out! I-I was so scared! I didn't know what to do anymore and I felt so h-hopeless," Cody sobs aloud, trying furiously to wipe away his own tears, "His voice got too unbearable and I suddenly didn't have any control anymore. I tried to fight him, I p-promise I tried to fight him, I did -"

"- Cody -"

"- I-I should've fought harder, but my magic's weak. I'm not s-strong like you. That's why I let him win. I'm just too weak -"

"- Shh, Cody...Listen to me," You cup his cheeks in your hands, waiting for him to reluctantly glance up at you, something he's been trying to avoid as much as possible since he began rambling. He's met with the sight of your own tear-filled eyes and breathless voice, "It's alright. It's going to be okay like I said, Cody. You did everything you could've, I know you did -"

"- But I still -"

"- Hush now. You tried to keep him out. That's as much as you could've done on your own," You then pull him into a tight embrace again. You hold him there for a moment, listening to his whimpers as he cries against your chest, "...Yes, I wish you would've come to me as soon as you felt something was off. You know -...I hope you know I would've done everything in my power to help you regardless of what I was dealing with in my personal life. I love you. You're my baby brother. I'll always be here for you no matter what."

"I know..." He sniffles.

You sigh, "...But at the same time, I understand that you were scared. Fear can fog logic and it's okay to be afraid. I can't blame you nor can anyone else. You must understand that Ganon is a powerful magic wielder who tampers in the most ancient of dark arts - those outside of even our own people's knowledge, if the legends are to be believed. They say even the most powerful of sorcerers could not possibly stand against him alone.

"As discomforting as the thought is, I think if Ganon decided he wanted to use any of us as his puppet, then he would've achieved the task regardless of his prey. You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Close to the Castle, close to the Champions and guardians...and I'm sure all that stress made it only easier, at no fault of your own..." You frown, resting your chin on top of his head, "...Who knows what would've happened even if you told me. He could've still poisoned your mind even then, not that I wouldn't have done everything in my own power to prevent it...Still, none of that matters now. We can't reverse time, only keep marching forward. What matters is that I know now and that I'm here."

"W-We can't do anything, though..." Cody buries his face against your tunic, trying fruitlessly to echo out the dreadful feeling that swarms you both. He knows Ganon is swirling around you two, teasing you with his presence alone. He knows it and you likely know it as well. He just wonders if you can also hear exactly what Ganon's voice sounds like and the terrible curses he mutters or if you simply feel the suffocation of his existence alone.