|| Chapter 3 || More to the Story

Edited 02.28.23

Link awoke to the smell of food being cooked and loud voices echoing around him. It was easy enough to locate the later source as two men who stood nearby arguing about a treasure some bandit hid in the area. They're both completely obvious to their surroundings, yet despite their noise level, it still takes Link a few minutes to actually roll himself out of bed.

Slipping on his boots while half asleep, he once again questions whether the King was really being truthful when claiming he's been asleep for over a hundred years. With that much rest, you would think he'd be full of energy. He must've just burned too much of it on the plateau and on his walk to the Dueling Peaks.

After getting all his belongings gathered, he heads outside with another yawn. A fire has been made in the same spot as last night where a female stable employee is currently using it to make omelets. Travelers stand and sit all around while eating their breakfast which must be good judging on their bright smiles. Although Link's stomach instantly begins growling at the sight and smell of a meal, his attention is divided when he notices you.

You're sitting further away from the fire than everyone else on a wagon's tongue, staring out towards the peaks while fiddling with the strings of a silver bow. On the ground by your side is a matching quiver and a small patch of what Link would assume to be your other belongings.

Immediately upon spotting you, he remembers the deal you had made with him about leaving the stable at sunrise to Kakariko. One glance towards the sky confirms that it's definitely past sunrise...Oops...

"'about time you woke up," Link can't tell if you're mad or not, your voice not giving away any hints nor does your expression as you continue messing with your bow.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting...You didn't have to wait here for me," he looks down at his feet, ashamed to think about how much of your time he's wasted. Surely you could've been to Kakariko by now.

Fortunately for him, you simply shrug it off, "Oh, I don't mind. Sunrise was a bit early to ask for anyways - especially of another traveler. A good night's rest is a gift within our occupation, after all. Besides, waiting for you gave me an excuse to stay for breakfast. Usually I have a bad habit of putting that off."

Link's thoughts quickly return to the topic of food once you mention it. Peering over to the fire, he listens to the travelers compliment the stable employee's cooking. They're reeeally making it sound good...

You sigh, which makes Link whip his head back towards you, afraid you might be annoyed with his lack of response, "Each stable in Hyrule makes free breakfast for the travelers who stay at them. All you gotta do is ask and that lady will happily make you a plate."

"...I'm not hungry," he lies through his teeth and his stomach wastes no time objecting by growing loud enough for you to hear.

You laugh at this, "You sure? Everyone's been complimenting the breakfast here all morning. Even I gotta say that was one of the best omelets I've ever had."

Link desperately wants to find out whether that's true for himself, however he instead decides to punish himself for not having woken up earlier. The early bird gets the worm, the late bird gets to starve and be miserable.

From the corner of his eyes, he watches you stand then walk off. You go straight to the stable employee, saying a few words to her before she beams and hands you a plate with a fresh omelet. You nod your head to her before returning to Link and holding the plate out to him, "You might as well eat. It's not like Kakariko is going anywhere."

It only takes one whiff of that delicious smelling egg for his will to shatter into pieces. Thanking you in a rush, Link scoops up the plate from your hands, plops himself down on the dirt ground, and begins digging in like the starved man he is. You were definitely right; this has got to be the best omelet he's ever had - okay, he might not actually remember eating any others, but it is waaay better than the simple apples he's been surviving off of for the past few days!