|| Chapter 19 || With Love Comes Pain

Edited 03.11.23

"It has to be somewhere around here..." You're standing on top of a boulder, scanning the land around you before sighing and looking down at Link who's fiddling with the Sheikah Slate on ground level, "I don't see why we can't just try finding a different one. I mean they're all over Hyrule! I think there might even be one in Lurelin Village we can check out."

Days ago, when Link had first told you about the Goddess' blessings he received in the Great Plateau shrines, you suggested it might be a wise idea to get some more before confronting the other Divine Beasts. By the way he described it, the blessings seem to give him extra strength and endurance which couldn't hurt to have on this long journey, right?

That's why you've come to Faron in the first place: to take advantage of its many shrines, yet you've been walking for what feels like forever without coming across another. The Sheikah Slate keeps letting off a beep every so often, insisting that you're 'supposedly' going in the right direction, however the problem is the map hasn't been working since this morning. Without the map function, well, functioning, you've been forced to play an annoying game of hot-or-cold.

"Is it still not working?"

"Nope, it's all static," Link confirms, becoming irritated himself with the device which is normally helpful, not a pain in the butt, "Do you know where we are?"

"Of course I know 'where we are'," you sound offended, hoping down off the boulder, "I know Faron like the back of my hand. We're in the Atun Valley. I just don't know the location of every shrine in Hyrule, especially if it's underground or sealed in a cave like the last few we've been to."

"It looks like we must be close, though. See?" Link points to the scanner that's at least working in the bottom corner of the Sheikah Slate, "All of the bars are glowing, but only when I'm facing this direction. If I turn like this, some of them go away and it stops beeping as aggressively."

"It's probably broken."

"I haven't done anything that would've broken it. Not that I remember anyways?"

"Link, you got blasted onto your ass by a guardian."

He huffs, "It was fine after that, though! It only started behaving like this this morning!"

You sigh, placing a hand on your hip, "Maybe the shrine's on top of the mountain? The scanner lights up when pointed in that direction, right? And if it's not there, then at least we'll be on higher ground which might allow us to spot it easier."

Link hesitates, not really feeling like a long trip up a mountain, however he's also too stubborn to ignore this shrine. He wants to get as many Goddess' blessings as possible; that's the fastest way he'll regain his strength (plus he likes getting cool weapons from inside shrines, too).

Once he agrees to your compromise, you both follow the trail that curves along the hills and around the west side of the mountain. It gets steeper as you climb, but Celeste and Epona handle it like champs, bringing you to the summit before the afternoon sun reaches its own peak. They're rewarded for their efforts by a field of lush green grass and flowers that peek out from the blades. As for Link and you, you're rewarded with absolutely nothing unless you count a lone pond as worthwhile.

The Sheikah Slate is beeping louder than ever, its volume having increased progressively while going up the path, yet there still isn't a shrine in sight here. Just a peaceful meadow and that deep pond in the center which appears to be mysteriously shaped like a heart.

Link violently shakes the device a few times, hoping that'll somehow fix the problem while you simply study your new surroundings with a casual shrug, "Huh. I've never been here before."