|| Chapter 46 || Bitter Result

Edited 05.19.23

Several Koroks skip in your footsteps, happily greeting you to their forest haven once again. Not long ago, their moods had been sour since the Great Deku Tree had uncharacteristically and quite sternly forbade any of them from leaving this forest until further notice. Needless to say, your unexpected visit is a welcomed surprise that has brightened their spirits immensely, yet their adorable joy doesn't seem contagious for once.

From the second you entered through the Lost Woods, they've been clinging to your legs while inviting you to play all sorts of fun games and tell more entertaining stories. Their excitement blinds them from the heavy way you carry yourself or the distant look set upon your tear stained face. Unfortunately, you're in no mood to play with them.

The Great Deku Tree is much wiser than his naïve children. He immediately senses something off about your demeanor and instructs the koroks to leave you be. They hesitate at first, looking at you in hopes that you'll give them permission to stay, however you don't show them any acknowledgement. So, finally realizing that you aren't yourself today and that the Deku Tree is serious with his order, they obey, disappearing into the brush to leave you two some privacy.

"...You have come here alone this time," The Deku Tree observes quietly. There's sadness in his voice - a possible understanding of what your presence in his forest less than twenty four hours after the start of the Calamity must mean.

The only other time you've been here was in the company of Hyrule's hero, Link. You made an excellent first impression, being both kind and respectful to the forest, although the Deku Tree also couldn't help but notice then that you seemed to be held in quite high regards by your Hylian friend who behaved somewhat akin to a korok that day, taking you by the hand and leading you all about the forest with glowing excitement.

The hero isn't here now and all life appears to be drained from your expression as you remain silent under the Deku Tree's stare. What's worse is you hold the Master Sword - chipped and scratched - close to yourself which allows the old tree to further conclude his worst fears: something must have gone terribly wrong for Hyrule's hero.

"...H-He, um..." Your voice is strained when you finally try to speak. You can't bring yourself to even say his name, knowing all too well that you'll break if you do. Squeezing your eyes tightly, you force the words out, "He's in the Shrine of Resurrection healing...W-We...Hmm...We don't know how long it'll take until he -..."

"...And the others?" The Deku Tree asks calmly.

"They're gone, too...It's just me now..." You inhale a deep, shaky breath with your body trembling just as much. Provided all that's happened, this is the first chance you've really had to let everyone dawn on you: you're officially the only Champion left...

"The others were reportedly killed when trying to control their Divine Beasts and Zelda, she...I think she's gone now, too. She's the one who gave me the Master Sword, asking that I take it here; that's the last I spoke to her. Next thing anyone knew, she, um...She-She had run off to the Castle to face my brother. Somehow, she managed to stop his rampage, but she hasn't come back yet. I haven't heard from her, anyway, so s-she probably..."

You don't go into too much detail, although the Deku Tree doesn't push. It's obvious that you're still trying to process everything for yourself, meaning you're in no state to break it down properly for anyone else.

These last twenty four hours have moved too quickly. First your own brother - a sweet and shy boy who you swore would never hurt a butterfly - started the Calamity, causing the destruction of many towns, villages, and lives including the Champions and almost Link. You're not sure how Zelda stopped him. You weren't even aware that she snuck off until leaving the Shrine of Resurrection yourself to find her nowhere in sight, but a letter left by your belongings offering this brief explanation: