|| Chapter 9 || A Bit of a Shocker

Edited 03.04.23

"Sidon said there are shock arrows around the peak of Ploymus Mountain. The only problem is that he also said they've been left by lynel who lives up there. He thinks we should be able to sneak up and grab some for ourselves, but that'll be pretty difficult to pull off with a lynel of all things."

"What makes a lynel any different from other monsters?"

"They're tougher, stronger, and smarter; in other words, they're more of a pain in the butt. Usually only cocky explorers go after them to 'bring back the head' and become famous, however the key to being a 'living legend' is to make sure the first word still applies to you. You're just a dead fool otherwise."

"Have you ever fought one yourself?"

You smirk, crossing your arms behind your back, "Once. I had witnessed a few fights against lynels in my youth and got curious to try it out for myself. I won in the end - only after a very time consuming and tiring battle. Gotta say, it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life, too."

Link chuckles, "Really? I would've thought it would be the other way around."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" You stop, sending a playful glare back his way.

"You seem like you could get pretty scary when mad. I would think a lynel would run away with its tail behind its legs if facing your fury - do they even have tails?"

"Yes, and is it really polite to tell a girl she's so scary that a lynel would run away from her in freight?"

He hesitates, "...Yeesss?"

You scoff with a shake of your head.

"I meant it as a compliment!"

"A compliment, huh?" You pretend to take this into consideration while tapping a finger to your chin, "...Alright. Consider yourself luck this time, hero boy."

Link just smiles, following you up the mountain trail which eventually takes you above the storm clouds formed by Ruta to a peak where a gentler rain shower exists, although it's quite foggy compared to lower ground and packs a chill to the air. Aside from that, the trail is very similar to that you had taken to Zora's Domain; slick with mud that splashes up your pant legs and somehow as high as your tunics.

Despite a faint glint of golden light remaining on the distant horizons, Silent Shrooms begin to glow as if already night, illuminating the area surrounding themselves. Link approaches a bundle of this fungi growing underneath a pine tree, wishing to collect them for future use, however his attention is stolen away from the glowing mushrooms to a shimmering arrow wedged into the bark of the evergreen.

Tugging the arrow out, he examines it closely yet hisses in pain and retracts his hand after it had gotten too close to the arrow's pointed edge, resulting in the object giving him a good zap. Sucking on his finger, he quickly looks around to ensure you hadn't seen. Fortunately, you haven't stopped your ascent up the trail, thus you're too far ahead to have heard his gasp let alone witness his stupidity.

"This is a shock arrow, right?!" He calls, chasing after you while waving the object in the air.

By this point, you've reached the top of the peak, kneeling behind a large boulder which you stealthily peek around. Before Link can say anything else once reaching your side again, you throw a hand over his mouth, muffling his voice as you whisper as quietly as you can, "Sidon was right. There's a lynel right there. It's young and not of a strong breed, but that doesn't exclude it from being dangerous."

Link, being the curious boy he is, pokes his head around the corner to see the monster for himself. A single glance is all it takes for him to believe everything you've said about these beasts.