|| Chapter 15 || Sorry

Edited 03.09.23

"...I'm sorry..."

Link blinks open his eyes, tiredly staring ahead at the open field while not too sure what had awoken him so late in the night. When there isn't another sound aside from the rustling of flora in the wind, he assumes he had only been disrupted by these sounds of an incoming storm. Not concerned about that since camp has been set up under a wooden canopy off trail, he closes his eyes again.

"...Please don't...I...didn't..."

Listening a little more closely, Link recognizes your voice, but is confused as to why you'd be awake yourself unless the storm disturbed your own slumber and maybe you're finding it difficult to go back to sleep.

Rolling onto his side, he looks to where you lay a few feet away from him. He confirms that you're still fast asleep, curled in a fetal position and protected by the warmth of your sleeping bag, although you look far from peaceful; quite the opposite really.

Your face is scrunched up as you mumble and groan, twist and turn. While there's only dim light provided by the far off moon, Link swears he can see beads of sweat on your forehead, too.

Suddenly, scaring even him, you gasp, gripping at your sleeping bag as your once silence, jumbled words become more frantic in tone, "...Stop! Please stop...! Please don't...!"

Upon seeing your growing distress, Link is quick to leap out of his sleeping bag, feeling fully awake now as he stumbles over to your side since his legs seem to need more time to process what's going on.

Letting himself fall next to you, he shakes you as gently as he can through his worry, "(Y/n)...? (Y/n)! Wake up!"

It takes a good minute (at least it feels that way for Link) until your eyes snap open and you shoot up to a sitting position. You would've smacked heads with Link in the process if not for him leaning back to avoid that painful tragedy.

Your hands move to your forehead, staying in place there while you take heavy, heaving breaths. There's tears in your eyes, dripping down your cheeks, yet you don't move to touch them. You just keep staring ahead blankly, not too aware of where you are or what's going on.

Carefully, Link moves to place a hand on your shoulder, hoping to gain your attention, "Are you alr -?"

You flinch away so harshly that you almost fall backwards. Your wide eyes meet his, reflecting pure fear that shatters his heart. He immediately retracts his hand, whispering your name in concern. He can't help wondering if you're just overwhelmed in the moment or if you really thought, even for a second, that he was going to hurt you in some way.

"L-Link?" You look at him, your lip quivering as your mind finally begins to realize what had happened: it was only a nightmare, but that doesn't make you feel much better.

"I...I'm sorry. I just - I'm so sorry!" You break down, using the same words from when you had been asleep, although this time they sound more like an apology given out of regret and shame, not terror.

Throughout your time of knowing each other, Link has never seen you sniffle, let alone cry, so he's in shock to witness your grief. The tears keep coming, making your eyes red and puffy as you openly sob into your hands. It's a complete contrast to how you normally are. Usually you're so happy and relaxed...

Like before, Link reaches out to you, moving as slowly as to not repeat his prior mistake. When you make no movements to escape his touch, he carefully pulls you towards him, wrapping his arms around you and holding you in a close embrace. You only go tense a little before melting into the gesture.

Within seconds, you're returning the hug, burying your face against the crook of his neck and holding onto him tightly as if he'll fade away at some point; as if he's the only thing you have left to treasure. Although he must admit this position feels a bit awkward at first, he forgets about that overtime, instead devoting his focus to rocking you gently and whispering words of comfort as you weep.

Once your cries turn into shaky whimpers, he pulls away ever so slightly so that he can look down at your face, "Do you wanna talk about it?"

You tilt your head enough to be able to look up at him if you were to want to, however you don't, merely biting your lip and remaining rested against his shoulder, "...N-No thank you...I'm okay. I - I'm sorry for waking you up -"

"- It's fine," he answers quickly, not wanting you to think you have anything to be ashamed of.

You must've apologized a thousand times anyways while continuing to cling onto him until eventually being too overcome with tiredness. Despite his own heavy eyelids, Link waits to ensure you're in a deep sleep before carefully transferring you from the safety of his arms to the warmth of your sleeping bag. Even then, he doesn't go back to sleep himself.

For the rest of the night, Link makes a small fire and feeds it random twigs. He sits himself closer to you this time, your head nearly against his leg where he can easily put his hand down and play with your hair or start rubbing your back whenever you shutter or begin mumbling again. He promises himself that if your nightmares are to return, he'll wake you up much faster this time.

He knows you were lying when you said you were fine. Clearly, whatever your nightmare was about, it was something serious that plagues your mind more than you'll likely ever admit to him. While he won't overstep his boundaries by trying to force a confession, he does wonder what could've made you so fearful. Perhaps it was a bad memory or was it really just a simple nightmare? If you aren't willing to share, then the best he can do is keep an eye on you and hope that you know he'll always be here to protect you.