|| Chapter 28 || Eye of the Storm

Edited 03.31.23

Signs are posted around the long-abandoned outpost warning visitors to turn back. It's no shock as to why. Only a few miles away stomps Naboris who's quite literally kicking up a storm while striking the surrounding dunes with powerful lightning. It's a tantrum most people would stay clear of without needing the advice of those signs, but Link and you are right where you need to be.

Link sits staring out the Outpost window, watching every step the beast takes. Even with the distance between them, he swears he can hear the booming sound each foot makes when it contacts the ground. Getting crushed out there would likely be an instant kill.

You sit in the doorway, keeping an eye out for Lady Riju since she said she had some final preparations to make beforehand (mainly convincing her guards that she'll be fine taking on the Divine Beast with an ancient champion by her side - two ancient champions actually, but she hasn't realized that part yet).

You stand, walking back inside and holding something out to Link which gains his attention, "You might want to wear these when we go out there unless you don't mind sand in your eyes. If that's the case, though, then I'd say you're pretty weird."

In your hand is a pair of copper goggles. You have your own pushed up on your forehead.

Link takes them with a smile, "Thank you."

You hum, sitting across from him at the small table and gazing outside, "...Naboris seems crazy right now, but she wasn't always like this. Urbosa and I used to be able to sit up there while enjoying the view of the desert - always a smooth ride...Sometimes Zelda and Mipha would even join us, too, for some much needed girl time, just relaxing and complaining about all of our 'princess' troubles which Urbosa always found amusing. We actually suggested that you guys hang out together, but Revali was always firmly against the idea, saying he had too much 'precious time' he couldn't possibly waste with such 'childish endeavors'."

"Sounds like him," Link rolls his eyes with a chuckle, earning a bit of a proud glance from you. Whether it's because he remembers Revali or that he actually shares your annoyance with that stuck up bird is anyone's guess (it's a little of both probably).

Resting his chin on his palm, Link asks carefully, "...Do you miss them all?"

You frown, leaning back slightly, "Of course. You guys were the greatest friends I've ever had and most likely ever will have...All good things tend to come to an end, though. At least we still have the memories to keep them alive - even the smallest of ones. Makes you realize just how valuable time is, don't you think? 'never know when someone will be gone, so we gotta soak it up while we can...I know that just sounded super cheesy -"

"- I don't think it is," Link cuts you off, "I mean, I feel better remembering everything little by little now versus when I first started this journey hardly knowing anything. Memories really do make the difference..."

You smile, happy to see Link thinking positively for once rather than constantly kicking himself over his amnesia.

"I hope I'm not interrupting much," Lady Riju stands in the Outpost doorway, the Thunder Helm in her hands.

"Not at all. We're just reminiscing on stuff," you both stand, Link quickly fixing the goggles over his head as you follow Riju outside, "Shall we finally put an end to Naboris' storm then?"

~ ~ ~

Link isn't sure how he expected to get close to Naboris. Maybe his dumb-dumb head thought running through the sand was a good idea, but as strange as it is, being tugged along over the dunes by a sand seal does sound far more effective, although he has yet to decide how okay he is with tying a rope around his waist and trusting a seal not to make him eat sand instead of surf over it.