|| Chapter 53 || Draining Magic

Edited 06.12.23

Cody raises his sword into the air, swinging it downwards which sends a wall of fire towards you both. Link and you run in opposite directions to dodge this attack, dividing the Sorcerer's attention. He glances between you, considering which to focus on, but the decision's made for him.

You take out your bow, drawing back the string despite not having an arrow. Light seems to be pulled right from the air around where an arrow would be and when you let go of the string, said light shoots across the room, hitting Cody's side with a bolt of electricity which does plenty to fixate his attention upon you.

Recovering, your brother turns his full attention to you through a nasty glare. He swings his sword to the side, sending a ray of magic your way which you easily dodge before letting go of another magic 'arrow', however this time Cody snaps his fingers, creating four barriers that spin around himself. When the arrow makes contact with one, it merely bounces off causing no damage; not even a scratch.

Regardless of this challenge, you rapidly shoot three more identical arrows at Cody, each having the same effect. After leaping out of the way of yet another attack he sends in return, you let go of a fourth arrow. Unbeknownst to your sibling, this one is a plain bomb arrow, so unlike your previous magic arrows, it explodes against the barrier it strikes, successfully shattering it.

You time your next shot of a magic arrow just right, using the opening to hit Cody square in the chest which causes him to stiffen as the electricity courses through his body. Due to his temporary falter, his feet touch the ground once again and, for a second, it gives you hope that draining his magic will be much easier than you had originally anticipated, however you're quickly proven wrong when Cody raises a hand towards you, creating a dark beam that forces you to quickly dive out of the way.

Before Cody can continue his assault, he catches sight of a rush of blue in the corner of his eyes. Turning in a flash, his sword collides with another. His narrowed eyes meet Link's as the Hylian tries pushing the Sorcerer back - to have any effect on his stance - yet simple strength can only get someone so far when up against powerful magic. With little effort, Cody nearly knocks the Master Sword out of Link's hand, causing him to wobble backwards. He then flicks his hand, causing a gust of wind to throw the blond off his feet completely with such force that he goes skidding across the rough stone floor.

Link groans, but ignores his pain in favor of quickly grabbing the Master Sword off the ground beside him and raising it to block Cody who had darted forward at a blurring speed, crashing his sword into Link's again within seconds. The Sorcerer's sword glows red in a clashing comparison to the Master Sword's pure blue light.

While the two remain locked in stalemate, Cody's eyes happen to be drawn behind himself where he spots you charging his way, your own weapon drawn and shining in green. Your brother raises his hand your way and you prepare yourself to block another beam of magic, but within a blink of your eyes, you're surprised to suddenly find yourself facing a wall instead of the two males. Turning to look over your shoulder, you only barely catch sight of the portal disappearing behind you. You're now on the opposite side of the room from the action.

"...You've got to be kidding me..." You grumble in annoyance before running back over to where you're needed.

While Cody's head is turned, Link takes the opportunity to kick him, knocking the younger boy far enough away so that he can finally return to his own two feet again. It's a good thing, too, because immediately afterwards, he's being swung at again. Cody's sword cuts against the surface of the shield he hides behind and while the save is a relief, Link's eyes widen to see the metal of said shield beginning to melt in the exact spot Cody had damaged.