|| Chapter 16 || The Sad Little Boy

Edited 03.10.23

Early in the morning, when the fields were covered in dew drops and the world was quiet aside from the songs of robins, Link had become too restless to keep sitting in camp with nothing to really do aside from play with the burning charcoal inside the fire pit. Needing to stretch his legs, he decided it would be a better use of his time to go gather some fresh ingredients for breakfast, thus after leaving a note beside you explaining where he'd be, he set off to accomplish this goal.

There's a small wooded area not far from camp. It only has a couple rows of trees and is surrounded completely by field, yet despite its size, it's still perfect for foraging, housing all the ingredients Link searches for: a few bundles of Hylian rice and two eggs plucked from a nest on top a tall oak tree; exactly what's needed for delicious fried eggs and rice, although to complete this meal, some Hylian herb would be nice.

Spotting some strands of this plant growing right on the other side of the miniature forest, Link's pleased to pick it and add it to his collection. His stomach growls in thought of how well it'll emphasize the flavors of the other ingredients, which he can't wait to confirm, however he pauses on the edge of the woods when spotting movement in the corner of his eyes.

Turning fully, Link's surprised to only now notice a decaying guardian not far out in the field, although it's not really the guardian itself that surprises him as much as it is the presence of people surrounding it.

It's a rather big party, at least in his own judgment. Should so many people really be poking and prodding a guardian like they are? Don't they know that decaying guardians can be just as dangerous as their more active counterparts who patrol Central Hyrule? That's what you've said anyways (since Link wouldn't be able to know himself).

Curious, he approaches the group, noting that they seem to be doing research judging on the hurried notes they're scribbling down on their clipboards. This paired with their outfits leads him to conclude they must be scientists like Robbie and Purah. Do they work at the Akkala Tech Lab or is there another lab nearby? He hopes not. He's a little tired of carrying blue flames for people...

While most of the group is busy bothering the guardian, Link notices a young boy sitting on a rock closer to him. Said boy isn't dressed like the others who wear mostly tans and reds. Instead, he has on a dark blue, sleeveless outfit with a lighter sash and long boots that almost make it up to his knees in which he's currently hugging close to his chest. There's a distant and bored look in his eyes as he watches the others study the ancient relic ahead.

"Excuse me, but what are you guys doing?" Link dares to ask, stopping at the boy's side, however he receives no reply. The young one only tugs his legs closer, trying to hide half his face behind them.

"Your Grace!"

The boy's head lifts instantly, a flash of hope crossing his face as a researcher runs up to him.

"Yes?" His voice is as eager as his eyes reflect, a smile even pulling at his lips, "Are we going back now?"

"No, we just got here?" The man blinks in disbelief, "I was going to ask how to wake this guardian up. We'd like to study it while active and possibly even bring it with us when we do go back."

The boy's face falls and he stares downwards, "O-Oh, I, um...I wouldn't - You know, I'm actually not v-very good with that sort of thing -"

"- But it's your job? The whole point of this mission is to find out how we can use the guardians against Calamity Ganon who - must I remind you - could show up at any moment. How are we going to do that with disabled statues?"

The boy flinches, "I-I could always ask -"

"- Ask who? You're the one who's supposed to be answering questions, not asking them. These guardians are your responsibility. You're the one who will have to lead them. I'm sorry, but what point is there in having you here if you don't know how to do your own job?"