|| Chapter 36 || At a Cabin in Hebra

Edited 04.22.23

Snow crunches under the horses' feet as they carry their riders down the long pathway cutting through the freezing region known as Hebra. This is the same path that will eventually circle into warmer plains near Serenne Stable. This is also the fastest path to your next destination seeing that you've successfully freed Divine Beast Vah Medoh, saving Rito Village from its terror.

While this is meant to be the quickest way around, a sudden snowstorm decided to test such a claim. Despite the air having been clear when you departed, it has since become a blur of white. The heavy snowfall causes Epona and Celeste to slow down, beginning to lose track of the path they were once following with ease. Neither you nor Link can offer them much assistance seeing as you're both having little luck with your own eyesight at the moment.

Perhaps you could've kept going and eventually found your way, after all there's a stable just on the other side of the mountain, but pushing forward without being able to fully watch your surroundings is always a big risk. There's no telling what monsters are trekking through the snow themselves, especially when it comes to ice-breath lizalfos who adore this kind of weather.

Fortunately, random snowstorms are so common for the region that inhabitants are prepared. Several cabins are built around Hebra for travelers to use when down on their luck while passing through. Deciding to put their purpose to good use, Link and you stop at the first cabin you can find.

Link brings Epona and Celeste to a small stable on the side of the cabin where they'll be safe from the storm. While the two snack on swift carrots, he drapes a blanket over each, ensuring they'll keep warm before heading inside the cabin himself.

The second he steps through the door, he's hit with a welcoming blaze of heat. Unlike stables or even inns, the cabin is very cozy, much like a typical house and, best of all, it looks like it'll be all yours tonight given its isolation.

"Here, take off your boots and change so that I can put your stuff by the fireplace to dry," you're kneeling near the fire in which you had been swift to make upon arrival. You've already changed yourself, having switched your snowquill armor for a simple shirt and pants. Your old outfit is folded nicely by the flames where the snow has begun evaporating off of them.

You join Link at the door, taking his sword and shield while he kicks off his boots and has a look around. This cabin consists of only one room with no dividers. Now, call him crazy, but he's not really willing to go back outside and change in that nasty weather.

"Just change right here. I promise I won't look," sometimes he really thinks you might have mind reading powers, although it wouldn't take a telepath to decipher his puzzled expression. It makes you roll your eyes, patting his back on your way to take his gear to where you've set your own, "...Besides, it's not like I haven't seen you missing clothes before."

Link turns as red as a Gerudo's hair, wiping around to look at you in shock. You chuckle at his reaction despite not having actually seen it with your back turned, "I'm joking...sorta."

A bit reluctantly, almost as if waiting for you to betray your word by turning around to catch a peak, Link finally begins stripping down to his underwear, replacing his damp snowquill armor with just the shirt he usually wears under his champion tunic and some pants. After folding his old clothes, he sets them alongside yours to dry.

You've laid out a blanket by the fire where you currently sit, Link taking a seat beside you. A few seconds of silence pass before you clear your throat, "...Sorry. Did I cross a line with that joke? It wasn't the most appropriate, was it?"

"H-Huh? Ah, no...No, you're fine," He's not sure if he's only imagining it, especially since you won't look directly at him, but he swears there seems to be a bit of red to your cheeks, "...Was it really a joke, though?"