|| Chapter 33 || The Myth of Satori Mountain

Edited 04.15.23

Unlike most of post-Calamity Hyrule, Satori Mountain's thriving...that is, for plants and animals.

Nature has no ill-opinions towards the steep climbs or short cliffs present on the mountain. Plants of all sorts grow there, making great snacks for creatures big and small who typically migrate to the area in large groups. Funny enough, despite enjoying this lush land so much, these creatures never stay long - only about three days each month before disappearing into the lower forests and fields.

Link doesn't really understand why that is and you keep waving off any of his questions as you both hike further up the path. He would complain, not satisfied with your promise to answer him soon enough, however your excitement seems to glow brighter with each step that takes you closer to the mountain's summit, thus his curiosity is officially hooked regardless of this annoying mystery you insist on keeping in the air (not to mention he would be willing to climb the tallest of mountains in Hyrule just to keep seeing that glitter in your eyes).

You both had been on your way to Rito Village when passing by Satori. When Link noticed the strange blue light glistening above the peak, he shrugged it off as just another example of Hyrule's strangeness, fully planning on continuing by, but you had other ideas, requesting a trip to the top. Why? You're still refusing to answer.

As you near your destination, the air begins to get thin and cold. Link swears it's also getting pretty foggy, not that you show any concern.

"I think we're almost there. Now, we want to be very quiet going around this corner, alright? 'don't want to scare it off," you warn, stopping only for a second to hold a finger to your lips when glancing back at Link who raises an eyebrow.

"Scare what off?"

"You'll see~" You smirk before carrying on.

"...It better not be a lynel..."

"It's not a lynel - it's much cooler than a lynel! Trust me, you'll love it."

Keeping as quiet as possible, you circle around the corner and crawl through a patch of long grass that goes over your heads. Each inch is traveled carefully, barely making a sound outside of the very faint brushing of your pants against the dirt.

Soon, the fog begins to clear, leaving behind only the chill, although Link would rather be cold than blind to his surroundings in a new area (not that he thinks you'd ever lead him into danger). Without the transparent barrier, a tall blossoming tree can be spotted not far ahead, one you stop next to and remain crouched down beside.

Link stays back a few feet, waiting patiently as you peek around the corner of the trunk. It isn't until you smile and nod for him to come closer that he does, moving to your side so that he may see what all this fuss is about himself.

Below the small hill is a shallow pond lined with lush bushes and flowers. Small bluepees bounce around the edges of the water, being far more carefree compared to the cautious ones you had accidentally spooked in Kakariko before, however they aren't the main attraction here.

Standing in the center of the pond is a massive yet beautiful horse-like creature, illuminated in an elegant blue hue just like the one you guys had originally seen on top of the mountain from the main trail. It moves majestically, seeming to take great consideration towards anything it does from prancing around the pond to leaning down to get a drink from the water in which reflects its very light.

Link stands in awe over this magnificent creature, definitely understanding now why you wanted to climb all the way up here just to see it.

"That's the Lord of the Mountain," you lean closer to him with a whisper, never taking your eyes off the subject you speak of, "...Amazing, isn't it?"

Link can only nod in his daze, sparing a quick glance at you then back.

"As pretty as this mountain is, when the sun sets, it becomes infested with all sorts of monsters from Stalkoblins to Stalnoxs, so animals usually stay clear of Satori. Luckily for them, on every full moon, and only during that span of time, the Lord of the Mountain appears at this very pond. By its mere presence alone, all monsters disappear, making it safe for wildlife to have some peace of mind."

"It's that powerful, huh?"

"Mmm...A lot of people don't believe the Lord of the Mountain to be anything more than a mere myth since most don't venture up here. I used to be one of those doubters myself, actually..." You trail off for a moment, finally taking your eyes off of the creature to look at Link, "...Then you showed me this place and I had no choice but to believe."

He returns your attention, finding that you aren't any further than maybe a foot away from his face. Even from this hiding spot behind the blossoming tree, the Lord of the Mountain's glow reflects off of your skin and smile, "That was the day we became friends - officially, anyways. We had already been working together as champions, however we never really interacted. To be honest, I thought you hated me. You were the only champion to never talk to me and even when I tried to start a conversation or so much as wave, you didn't seem very interested, just nodding and turning away."

Link frowns, wondering what in Hylia's name was wrong with him back then. It seems like any more, all you have to do is look at him and he starts feeling butterflies inside his stomach. To basically ignore you? Brush you off like nothing? He would think that to be physically impossible!

"The only reason we were even alone together at all was because Zelda wanted some time to herself and I figured, since I needed potion ingredients, why not have you escort me - two birds with one stone kinda deal. I expected it to be an awkward trip filled with dreadful silence, but when we arrived and I pointed out the weird light on top of Satori, you quietly shared a story your father told you as a child about the Lord of the Mountain - something about it being a Sage that died here long ago.

"Of course, after I recovered from my initial shock that you actually acknowledged me for once, I still didn't really believe any of what you said. You insisted, though, dragging me all the way up here just to prove a point. I guess I must've hit a nerve or something, although I did eat my words in the end. Subsequently, we talked quite a bit during the rest of the trip - well, I talked and you still only nodded, but at least I knew you didn't hate me. In those days, you were just very selective with your words which I can respect."

Link smiles, feeling better knowing he was shy instead of rude around you; now that would make sense. You're rather intimate especially in moments like this where you sit practically side-by-side with him, blissfully unaware of what you manage to do to his poor heart simply by resting your head against his shoulder.

"Overtime, you opened up more and became a little more talkative kinda like how you are now - mostly when we were alone, though...You admitted later on that you struggled to be honest with your true emotions and thoughts because of the way everyone was always watching you, however I think - I'm assuming you knew I wouldn't ever judge and that allowed you to be yourself around me."

"I'm sure I knew."

You sigh gently, curling your head closer to him, "We were an odd pair, people said. 'The knight who never speaks and the sorceress who does all the talking for him'. My father - oh, he hated the idea of our friendship. Out of all Hylians I could hang out around, I spent a majority of my time with the hero's spirit. Not that I have any regrets towards that. I couldn't ask for a better partner in crime."

Link maintains his smile, sitting back against the ground a bit while watching the Lord of the Mountain, however his thoughts aren't on the creature, in fact they don't seem to be anywhere in particular at all. His mind simply feels calm as he enjoys this moment of comfortable silence between the two of you. It feels so familiar and for once, he doesn't need to question that.