35. Mischievous

Chapter Thirty-Five

 Mischievous

   Heal and I are walking down to the Center. The streets are filled with Paxians, but no one pays attention to me. I guess I fit in. That's good. It feels weird to walk through a world built with crystal. The other places I've been to were a bit more realistic for me to take in. Paxia is a modern world with technology, but different from the kind on Earth. Most things are connected and developed with the use of Tarih.

    Tarih is different on Paxia. Or maybe I should say it's different when I'm not here. It surrounds me everywhere on this planet, ready to give a helpful hand. It's happy and free. The webs are comforting me in this situation. It feels just like the Paxia I'm used to, but I have just been at a different place before. I want to laugh when I think about all the things I've been through just to get here. I never through my life would change so much in two years. I wouldn't have been here if I had refused to go to the store that day I was Paxianapped. I probably would have been at home, still sulking over my ruined life. My life is far from ruined today.

    The people on Earth are different. Lex's memories from before he was cured is coming back. Does that mean that I also can be fixed? It's a high stake to gamble with. I can let myself think about that when I'm done with my mission. But what if I never will be able to complete this? Will I always be paralyzed?

    "You're in deep thought." Heal snaps me out of my worries.

    "Yeah, you know..." I start. "There are so many things I need to plan."

    Heal gives me a thoughtful smile. "Everyone in our family are so dedicated to this matter. It feels like you haven't taken the same quest to your heart. What's in it for you? What are your own plans in all this if you let yourself choose?"

    "What are you talking about?"

    "I get the feeling that you were forced into all this. What's motivating you? Have you given any thoughts about what your goal is? You don't have to do all this just because there's a prophecy."

    We're walking through a small park and I stop by a pond filled with fish. It's surrounded by a grey crystal fence and deep-red coloured trees with one big leaf on each branch.

    "None of this feels real," I tell him slowly. "Maybe I'm in a coma since the car crash. I've ended up in a twisted reality, without a perception of reality. I'm Alice in Wonderland and I just want to wake up from my dream. I haven't given much thought about all this, though it feels like thinking is the only thing I ever do. It feels like I must do it. The rest haven't caught up with me yet. Don't get me wrong. I love being able to do what the Iris can do. I just need to get used to all this. I don't know what I want to do. I just know what you all want me to do."

    "Then it's about time that you find a reason to do what you want to do, besides the reason to please us."

    "Why is it so important to you that I do that?"

   He waves his arms frustrated. "We're family. Of course I care. Anyone here would jump at the chance you are given. But you're from Earth and are kind of not a part of this reality from the beginning. You can just forget about us and go back home if you don't care. You can't be a good Iris if you don't care for us."

    "I don't know how to do that." Even Tarih sighs disappointed at my comment. I'm such a buzz killer. I'm too depressed and serious for this job. Where's the fun? Where's my fun? Heal is right. I must find my own reason to solve the problem with Paxia. "Will you help me?" I ask hopefully.

    He grins back at me. "Of course, I will. You can start with saying that you want to do things instead of must."

    "Uh, okay. I guess I want to go to the Center and get some new things then! It will be fun."