17. That doesn't explain the problem

Chapter Seventeen

That doesn’t explain the problem

  It’s funny how the fruit made me feel better. Is this what it feels to be poisoned?

  I can’t fall asleep. I didn’t walk outside my body last time I slept. Maybe I won’t if I’m totally exhausted?

  I’m lying wide awake on the hard ground watching the stars above. It’s a bit chilly, but not as cold as I thought the night would be.

  Things should make sense but I’m utterly confused. The fruit satisfied my hunger completely. I haven’t felt this good since I could walk with my own legs. I’m not suicidal anymore, which is good. I’m just filled with a great sadness. I lost someone I loved. It’s normal.

  Lex is dead and I need to move on. I have a purpose with my life. Didn’t Lily ask me to look after Lex? I failed that mission. I will not fail to solve the problem with Paxia. I’ll do it in memory of Lex. He’ll be proud of me, wherever he is now.

  I am trying to put together the pieces of memory I have of the battle. It happened very quickly and I was brutal. I reach out to a thin grey thread and pinch it lightly. My whole body starts vibrating from the power inside of them. Is it electricity? I feel safe knowing it can’t hurt me.

  At least I didn’t die, yet.

  “Meryl.”

  The soft whisper of my name makes me sit up straight from the ground. I’m covered in dust, but it doesn’t bother me. It’s a part of the life here to be covered in it. I didn’t feel anyone approach and I still can’t sense the person saying my name. I turn around as I get up onto my feet and there she is, the woman I saw a few months ago.

  “Lila,” I greet her quietly. “It’s time, isn’t it? I can feel Tarih. It’s quiet now. I solved the puzzle with it, but I’m still confused.”

  She’s smiling back at me in the dark. I can’t see her very clearly, but I recognize her and her voice. She still has that friendly attitude and it makes me feel calm.

  “I don’t think anyone can solve Tarih. Tarih do whatever Paxia five wants to do.”

  “Who is Paxia five?” I ask, wanting to know more about it all.

  “There are five keystones and five holders. You are number three and I am number one,” she starts telling me. “The number has nothing to do with importance. We are just the five chosen to control this world. You could call us the gods of Paxia. But not gods in the context Earth sees gods in.”

  “I guessed I passed the test,” I mumble to her.

  “You figured how to use Tarih. I’m here to bring you to Paxia two. She can’t leave her post. Here take this.”

  She hands me a bag made of fabric and I feel the smooth clean surface with my palm. I feel a pattern sewn into it but I can’t see what it is.

  “Thanks. What do I need it for?”

  “I thought you could pick a few fruit. They made you feel better, right?”

  “I thought they were going to kill me,” I tell her honestly.

  “They are healing fruit. We use it for medicine, rarely for eating. They are quite rare since they only grow here in this environment. It’s too strong for humans, so they die of overdose if they eat them. They can never be toxic for us.”