20. We will solve this

Chapter Twenty

We will solve this

  I am sitting on the door step to the house while my body is sleeping in my room. I am waiting for my parents to come back home. The stars are shining brightly on the sky and I guess it is freezing cold too. It’s nice to enjoy the beautiful winter without being cold.

  I really hope that Lex is somewhere safe. I trust that Lila put him in a good area. I still worry, it’s not like he can find his way home by himself. I know where his parents live, but I can’t take the chance of them seeing me. Not yet, not until I have fixed the problem!

  Finally I notice my parent’s red car on the road and Dad parks it outside the house instead of the driveway. Mom jumps out of it and it looks like she has been crying. She doesn’t say a word as she walks straight into the house and pulls off her beige fur coat. Dad stays outside for a while and sighs loudly. I wonder what all that is about. He then goes to bed and falls into deep sleep.

  I’m not too surprised when he does as I do and walk outside his body while he is sleeping. I’m waiting for him in the living room and he takes a seat on the other side of the couch. It feels a bit weird, but weird has become normal in my life since I found out about Paxia. He looks like him, unaffected by the environment though. It’s much smoother to walk around without a body to look after.

  “This out of body experience is quite… interesting,” I say to him and turn around so I face him. “I can walk perfectly like this, but I wonder if I can control when to leave my body when I’m asleep? Or will I only sleep when I am exhausted?”

  Dad sighs deeply and closes his eyes. “Only when exhausted I’m afraid. Paxians never waste time. We are more than just a body. We keep living our routines while being asleep. It gets lonely here at Earth during the nightly hours. I find it very relaxing. It will however give us more time to search for the key. Humans fascinate me with their sleep and their ability to dream during night.”

  There’s something fishy about what he just said. He has always been a bad liar but I don’t feel like accusing him of anything. I just don’t understand why he would still keep secrets from me even after all that has happened.

  “I hated you when I found out the truth,” I tell him slowly. “I’m sorry, but I did. I don’t hate you anymore though. We will solve this Dad.”

  “We must. We can’t let any more suffer from my mistakes.”

  He looks sad and I need to ask him about his life on Paxia. Mom is not around so this is a perfect opportunity. I am still in quite of a shock that I’m back at Earth, but I don’t think that I would have been able to leave without Lex. He almost died. My heart drops at the thought. Leaving a whole family behind in Paxia must be like thinking of them as dead. Who would do that voluntarily?

  “So, what is this whole deal about leaving Lila and your son?” I dare to say while I have the chance. “You took that decision.”

  “It must be horrible to find out about your oldest brother and that I left my first wife like that,” Dad says turning pale. ”It just wasn’t worth it anymore. Lila and I are very different. It was hard to leave my son, but he was almost an adult at the time. I thought I did the right thing. I could never have stayed happy with that woman.”

  I shake my head. I guess he really loves Mom. I shouldn’t stress it too much, it happened like forty years ago or so.

  “What would you tell him if you saw him again?” I wonder.

  “Heal would probably be happy with me,” Dad says smiling proudly. “He knew what he wanted to do with his life. He’s very compassionate. He’s probably happy that I picked my own way of living.”