36. Anticipation

Chapter Thirty-Six

Anticipation

It takes time to perfect something in detail. The time I spend here on Paxia will be remembered for the strange behaviour the people here act by. They are like working ants where they all live and thrive to feel connected to the society. They wear similar clothes and have the same kind of equipment. I wonder if the Council made the world like this in a try to unite all Paxians into one race, where they earlier were Gods and Goddesses over their own worlds. They failed miserably. Some are just pretending to fit in, while others like the new lifestyle. They can all be corrupt and we can't know who's really loyal to the Paxia Five and the Iris. It's now my job to fix this problem and I have found a motivation for me to do so.

I want to go home

I will be able to go home and live my life as I want to when I'm done. I'll still be the Iris, but the prophecy will be fulfilled. That's the only thing they ask of me and I will finish this job so they can leave me alone. Convincing the mass to join the Iris project will be hard. That's why my allies and I are meeting up here on Paxia today.

The older Meryl fixed us an anonymous meeting place in an empty business building. It's an old office where we can plan and meet with our recruits without raising any suspicion. We can't have people coming to a councillor's home. It's a comfortable place with a few offices and a big meeting room. Everyone goes home after a work day, but I have no idea where Vita goes when she's off duty. A shadow has her secrets, she's offended if I ask. I get the feeling that she's going back to Kria. Saha is not talking to me anymore. It's all quiet in my head nowadays.

Marc, Vita, Lex and Heal are discussing wildly about our project while I lean back in my chair and let them do the work. I forced my allies to learn how to use the abilities that comes with the necklaces I powered up. They all know how to jump worlds and change their appearance to the Paxian look. I also forced Heal to get Ruben to fix fake identity cards to my friends.

I haven't been lazy. I've been on Paxia for a month now and Vita have finished collecting all the information about our enemies. We know enough to start recruiting. Vita will keep spying, as well as my Grandma, to see the reactions when Paxians realize something strange is going on. I feel prepared. There's nothing left to do on this stage. I can't get used to this world. I don't like it. It's not a world that I'm proud of being a part of.

"Listen up!" I call out to my friends and they stop talking, probably surprised that I said something after hours of listening to their planning. "Time is running out. The first loyal people will arrive any minute. Then we'll know for sure if they are genuinely loyal."

"Otherwise they will be after a few minutes!" Vita laughs evilly and Marc gives her a disapproving glare.

"Why do you make everything sound so mean?" He scolds her.

"I wasn't mean." She defends herself. "It's just how my laugh sounds like. You can't judge me by my laughing, it's discriminating."

"My sister is absolutely right in the fact that our recruits will be showing up soon. Let's meet them by the door!" Heal leaves the meeting room and I decide to take his lead. We have all learned to ignore Vita and Marc's bickering.

"Are you sure they can handle seeing us in our real appearances instead of the Paxian?"

"How else will we convince them?" Heal smiles warmly and his confidence radiance from him. I should just trust him on this. He's lived here all his life, while I just found out its existence.

Lex takes my hand and I lean against his shoulder. "It will be okay, Meryl," he says. "I believe in us."

Lex makes everything in life seem so easy. I can rely on him. I missed his support on Crest and Florem before he showed up after a few months. I'm not scared, I'm filled with anticipation and getting nervous to meet all the new recruits.