8. Do you mind if I pick?

Chapter Eight

Do you mind if I pick? 

  Stepping outside the front door feels like a punch in the face. Whatever calmness I felt in the house disappears outside the safe haven. We are standing on the porch, watching the camp site in front of us. The air is much hotter out here; I can practically feel the steam on my skin as I breathe in the weird coal coated air.

  It is pain free to breathe, but it feels like something is missing. I bite my lip in confusion as I’m trying to figure out what it is. I was too shocked yesterday to give it a second thought and it is clearly annoying me now.

  The fires around the camp are keeping the fog out of here, but the grey wall is covering the land outside the stone walls. It feels creepy and it’s hiding anything and anyone from sight. I look around at the dirty people around the area who live in this state all the time.

  Suddenly I’m more than thankful that I found Lex and that he actually took me in under his wings. I want to turn around, walk into the house and never set my foot outside of it again. The panic inside me is rising and I bolt my head to the side when Lex puts his hand on my arm.

  “You’ll get used to it,” he says in a humourless voice and starts to stride down the few steps down to the black ground.

  I swallow down my fear and follow him bravely. No one knows about my disability. They are just staring at me because I’m new to this place. Still I feel uncomfortable to be out here with all these new people. The webs give me little comfort in the fact that they help me walk. My legs are still dead to my brain. They are just another wheelchair to bring me around.

  Wind sheds have been made to house the tribe members, the creativity is shining in the work of the materials they must have found and dragged over just to make a living bearable. Only a few of the sheds are fully covered. Those who were lucky enough to find some kind of fabric has made tents that don’t look too bad.

  I can hear whispering as everyone stares at me. It’s my worst nightmare and I feel the panic wanting to break free. It’s not like at home, this is way worse. Their eyes are dark, venomous and hungry. I take a quick look at my tattoo just to confirm that it’s still there.

  “Everyone is staring at me,” I whisper to myself loudly.

  “They will get used to you,” Lex answers me and stops in the middle of the camp. “This is the most civilized clan in Paxia.”

  I feel the crazy laughter reaching my throat. I try to stop it but it comes out anyway. Lex doesn’t seem to care. He must be too used to it.

  “Is the sky always grey?” It’s the first thing that comes into mind.

  “Yes,” he says slowly. “It’s not going to get easier. I can’t imagine hell to be a worse place than this.” His voice is suddenly poisonous. “If you ever get a chance to escape, take it.”

  Laughter brings me out of my state of panic and I turn around to see two kids, a girl and a boy playing at the outskirts of the camp. They can’t be older than ten and I shudder. They don’t deserve to be here, but on the other hand no one really does. It’s just harder to see small kids at a place like this in the world. Their clothes are tattered and black with coal-dust and their hair is long and dirty. I wonder when they saw their home the last time.

  The whole look of the camp suddenly seems organized to me. The area in the middle is used for cooking with camp fires and pots and cans and other things. It doesn’t look like the big grill has been used in a while. The air doesn’t smell like food even has been cooked this morning. I turn back to Lex with a determined look.