22. Think of me as dead

Chapter Twenty-Two

Think of me as dead

  Hours aren’t enough. I want to stare into Lex stormy grey eyes forever. I need to imprint him into my soul, if that makes any sense?

  I told him everything I possibly could about the Paxia-business. We are conversing in silence, giving ourselves a well needed rest. This is the first time since we met that we can just be. The darkness of the life in Paxia always shadowed our senses and made it impossible for us to actually feel relaxed. 

  There is no must for us in this moment. There are no hungry tribe members waiting for game. We are just one man who’s returned back to his family and a teenage girl who seeks to spend her evening with her boyfriend.

  I don’t want to return home to that empty shell of a house or Keith’s new place. I wish I could just stay here with Lex and forget about everything else. I’m so tired after the adventure I had to endure these last months of my life. It makes me more depressed to think of what role I need to play for the future of both Paxia and Earth.

  I guess I can’t be completely relaxed. One single question changes everything.

  “Why?” Lex furrows his eyebrows and thinks deeply about the whole puzzle. 

  “Why?” I repeat thoughtfully.

  “Your Dad or Lila never told you anything. Fine, let the whole Paxia business rest. Still I wonder how your Dad could adapt to Earth like that. Isn’t that weird?”

  “Maybe a little bit, yes,” I agree and let my thumb massage his bottom lip. “Does that mean I have to leave you and return back to see him?” I don’t want to let go of him. “Will you come with me? I didn’t have time to question him much yet.”

  He nods seriously and I let out a sigh. All those months on Paxia made me too depending on him. I want to be depending on him. I can’t imagine a world where he isn’t living. I know I must visit other worlds without him, but at least I know where he will be.

  “Your eyes changed colour. It’s not the same as in my dreams. Your eye colour is the same as mine now.”

  “Really?” I want to jump out of bed and check the nearest mirror but he holds me back with a small laugh. Damn him.

  “Impatient one, you can watch it later.” He decides with a small smirk. “I don’t trust your Dad after making all those lies. There can be more, a lot more that he’s not telling us. I don’t think he would have left his home world without a reason. I don’t see why you must jump when he says jump. You have a will of your own. The necklace will guide us to the key.”

  His confidence is boosting mine. I don’t need my Dad. I survived Paxia with Lex by my side so what’s the difference now? All my dear Father did was to hold me back. I don’t see the point in waiting for the inevitable. 

  He twists the globe a few turns and I can feel how Tarih grabs hold of me with an electrifying feeling I’ve grown so accustomed to. The grey threads are purring with power, awaiting my orders.

  Lex doesn’t remember anything, but his mind must have changed after all those years and still working in the same way. He must think I’m naïve for not taking the matters into my own hands. He’s right of course. I must go back to the strong minded girl I know I can be.

  “I don’t even know what to look for. Dad knows how the key feels like.”

  “You’ll know when you sense it. Go deeper.” Lex urges me.

  I explore deeper through the living webs. Wait, living! I focus on the key and the web suddenly starts singing.

  Key, Key, Key